• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

MYSTERY WATCH "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Can anyone tell me anything about the watch in the following pictures? It's in a Keystone silveroid case, which probably is the original case. There is a button/slide on the left side near 9 on the dial. It seems strange to see a movement like this in a silveroid case but it would be difficult to remodel a case to fit the movement I think. Sweep second hand, no markings on the dial.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Here's the cuvette showing 3 keyholes.

posted
Here's a view of the movement. There are two keywound mainsprings, and a key is used to set the hands also. It appears to be a good movement, lots of jewels with gold? wheels.

posted
Here's another view of the movement. The wheel for setting the hands has some missing and bent teeth. The pallet fork has a 'Y' shaped piece that reaches out over the escape wheel.

posted
Here's a view of the side of the case showing a button or slide which I assume is for starting and stopping the sweep hand. The button is on the left side, near the 9 on the dial. If it were in running condition what's it worth?

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Hi John,

You have an independent dead seconds watch. The second gear train is for the independent seconds. A special flirt releases the second train once each second.

These are often rather nice movements. I have a pretty Jules Jurgenson presentation version on my web site. http://www.awco.org/European/JurgPresent/Jurgensen5th.htm

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Thanks, Tom. I can't see anything beneath the escape wheel on this one, but it may have been removed, or use a different set up entirely.

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
I can't check for the flirt, of course, but the second gear train is pretty clear and it does have a center second hand.

Can you see where the lower train ends?

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Tom,
Thanks very much for your patience and help.
From the second picture of the movement, the hour/minute train starts with the spring barrel on the top and moves down to the escape wheel. The escape wheel is driven from the bottom. The seconds train starts from the spring barrel on the right side. I can trace it to the center but there's too much in the way to get a good view of the wheels and pinions and see where the two trains meet. The wheel/pinion covered by the cap jewel in the center bridge may be where the two interact; it's the closest I see to the hour/minute train.
Too bad there wasn't a safety pinion somewhere.