Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Oh no now what? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Well I have this 18 size Columbus hunter is a terrible open face case. The case had a hole in it so someone got some lead and filled up the hole with a big glob of lead.

I decided to put my Columbus hunter movement in a hunter case. Nope it ain't going to happen. I tried another hunter case. Nope it ain't going to happen. Seems the cock on this Columbus and I assume most if not all Columbus 18 size movements sticks up so high that the dust cover hits the cock and does not even get close to closing.

So since I don't know what a hunter case that will fit this Columbus movement would look like I guess I have to put this into an open face case.

Every time you think you have a good idea something comes up and kicks you in the backside.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Harry,

In 18-size hunter watches, neither the cases nor the movements are strictly uniform in size. As you have discovered, there are larger and smaller movements and the cases are also variable, especially in thickness. Hence when you need a new case, you have to be careful to see that it is properly fitted to the movement.

In fact, back in the day before factory-cased watches, that was the expression they used. First you selected your movement, hands & dial, and then had a case of your choice fitted to it by the jeweler.

I collect Illinois Model 5 hunters, which like Columbus, is one of the thicker 18-size hunter movements, and I've had the same kind of problem you describe. You might try a Dueber or an Illinois 18-size hunter case, those are a couple of the larger ones if memory serves.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1610
posted
Thank you Ed I will see what I have. Yes I just learned another valuable lessen. Smile

Well I found a Fahys coin hunter case that fits. I sure hate putting a cheap 15 jewel Columbus movement into a coin case but what will be will be. No more hunter Columbus for me.

posted
Harry, I have the same problem with Seths. The Model 2 is a full-plate design with an exposed balance cock that takes a much "fatter" hunter case. The Models 7,9, 11, and 13 are all 3/4 layouts with balance between the plates, and can therefore be accommodated in a much thinner case.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Member 1610
posted
Hi Eric I have a few Seth Thomas watches and movements. No model 2 just model 5 and above I think but I think they are all open face (I hope).