WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin grade 349 marked Father Time adjusted 5 positions "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
There was an Elgin 349 that made more than a few relisting passes on ebay and the seller finally dropped the price $100 to a more reasonable amount and I was the only bidder on it. I had just picked up a grade 349 that was a bit unusual because it had 5 positions marked on it as somewhat of an afterthought. This 349 is marked Father Time and below that 5 positions then below that Elgin, Ill USA. I changed the SS metal dial to a correct DS dial with red 5 min markers. I personally have not seen too many grade 349's marked Father Time. Does anyone else out there have a FT grade 349?

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
posted
Claude,
Show us a pic. of this one, if you would please, I don't think I have ever seen one, but had heard of them.
Thanks,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
posted
I had asked the same question on another site and got a CIA type answer. The GF case is very nice with no brass other than two small spots up on the pendant (back side) and the bow could stand to be replaced (wear), the crown has some wear but I am not picky enough to think it needs to be replaced. The dial is not perfect, it came with a SS gold colored metal dial and this is the only one I had that had Arabic numbers, it has a flaw over by the 3 and a hairline over by the 11. The flaw at the 3 is a chip caused by someone trying to pry the dial off without the set screw being loose enough and it chipped where the dial foot is. The serial number is 13,885,609, the hands look to be original Elgin bold spade-poker hands but I don't that the 349 original had the bolder style hands, would have to check that but if they were replaced later they look to be original Elgin hands.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Yes, the 349's were sometimes marked Father Time....but it is more rare than '349'....

Claude a photo or two would be nice and well as the serial number....

Great find, Claude, it just takes a little patience....

Regards,

Jerry

Opps, there they are....Very nice Claude, I can't quite make out the s/n...?I found it....

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
posted
Smile Jerry I was uploading the pictures as you were typing and you beat me to the finish. I was a bit surprised people let it slide by since it did at least 3-4 relistings on ebay. The seller dropped the price to $240 some and I was the only bidder. It was running a slow and it appears I got a bit happy with the regulator so I will have to slow it down a bit but it appears to run/set well and the movement is clean without any major scrapes, scratches and the case does not have any extra screw marks.
I see that I missed uploading the case back picture.

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Yes, sometimes one can find examples like this one, but it does take patience....

This one came from the 21st run of the 349's and it is difficult to determine exactly how Elgin did their naming of grades because there were 4-5 runs that did not have names associated with them and I was wondering if maybe they were the runs that were not designated 349....but your watch dosen't fall in one of those runs....

I know a few of the 349 runs were originally designated to be grade 252 but were later re-designated 349....

Well, at any rate you have a nice one for sure....

Oh, BTW, I think the watch is original configuration coming from the factory minus the dial you had to change but the one you put on is an appropriate dial....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I am listing this Gr252 FT on eBay today. As an 1899 production it only says "Adjusted".

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Claude:

Here is a photo of my No. 349, Father Time, it has a Canadian private-label dial.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Larry yours looks to be a bit earlier than mine and you can tell there was enough room without much change to get the 5 Positions just below Father Time.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Claude According to the Elgin collectors site database my watch Serial No. 13398779 was manufactured in 1907. And yours Serial No 13885609 was manufactured the year after in 1908 requirements for marking "5 Positions" must have changed around that time.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Thanks for the education fellows. I did not know there were 349's stamped FT! Claude, you devil! Nice pickup! Wink

Posts: 803 | Location: Knoxville, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: September 02, 2009
posted
Larry sometimes it is hit or miss during that time frame, my 341 is run 1 and it has 5 positions marked on it but I saw a 341 from run 2 and it wasn't marked so sometimes I think in that time frame it was hit or miss. Mike that is why I like it when people post pictures there are many movements or grade variations that I have not seen, when people post these it is really helpful. If Elgin made 10-20% of the 349's then that means there were probably 5,000 or less produced but as Jerry mentioned there are no clear numbers on the FT349 markings.

posted
Sure a great looking movement Claude, thanks for posting, now it will be on my list.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008