Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Brass Hunter Case "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
I have a brass hunter 18 size case. I would like to put a 15 jewel Columbus in it. I can polish it but keeping it polished is the problem I have. I don't want to have to polish it every week or so. Is there any kind of coating you can put on a brass case to keep it from tarnishing? Can you put a clear coating of some type a paint?

Harry

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Harry --

I haven't used this method on a watch case, but brass furniture (lamps, bed railings, planters. etc.) are commonly protected with a sprayed-on coat of lacquer or similar clear topcoating. It eventually deteriorates from atmospherics, and wears off from handling abrasion -- but it protects the shine and color of the underlying brass MUCH better than leaving the metal naked. However, spray application would be tricky, requiring very good equipment and a skilled hand to avoid runs/bubbles/gumming up hinges, and clogging the stem opening. If that's not in your skill set, I would suggest looking for a custom auto or motorcycle painter who's used to using small airbrush sprayers to lay down custom designs.

Good luck!

-Damien

Posts: 143 | Location: Puget Sound, Washington in the USA | Registered: January 16, 2010
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
I have used clear spray lacquer to coat the brass dial rings on my antique Seth Thomas clocks. It is made by Testors, commonly used to spray model cars. You should be able to find it in craft or hobby stores. I am going to attach a link of my clock to this post.

Steve

Ball clock restoration

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Thank you Damien and Steve I new brass furniture and the like had a clear coating but did not know if it could be put on these old cases. I was not sure of the process. I will give it a try. Thanks guys!

Also Steve you did a great job on that Ball clock!

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
posted
Fantastic job on the case restoration, Steve. And the work on the dial is remarkable. If I'm ever in Cleveland again for a WWT or something I'd like to see it in person.

Harry, try WD-40.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
I use Blue Magic Metal Polish Cream. You can find it at most auto parts stores. It hand buffs nicely and leaves a thin protective coat. The shine won't last forever but I find that without an air brush spray lacquer tends to have a mind of it's own. If you do use the spray can lacquer I would be very interested in your results.

Mike

Posts: 206 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2012
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
The spray can stuff tends to be a bit glorpy ( my official definition of glorpy is that the spray is not fine enough) as those spray nozzles aren't the best. If you know someone with an airbrush you will probably have a better result.

The beauty of lacquer however is that you can wash it all off with lacquer thinner and start over.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011