Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Any opinion on the Elgin model 336 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I've been fortunate to obtain two 18s Elgin Model 336 17j PS pocket watches over the years.

One I got from Chris Abell several years ago that was essentially NOS, and that keeps better time than my best maintained railroad watches! It was made in 1912.

I put it in a tall pendant PS only sterling silver case I found on Dave's Watch Parts site with a gold insert locomotive on the back. It, too appears to have never had a movement in the case as there were no movement screw marks on the back.

The other I got off an internet sale that has definitely been carried for a while, housed in a pedestrian nickel Defiance case, but at least appears to have been maintained during it's life and keeps good time, dated 1911.

They're usually listed as 'gentleman's watches' when described in literature or sales, and I find interesting that, depending on condition, when found in mint condition (like my first one), they're valued in the big book in the same price range as a basic Hamilton 992B!

Considering they made over 272,700 of them over their production period, they were apparently popular time pieces for Elgin.

Does anyone else own examples of these, and what are YOUR opinions of this particular watch?

I'm finding I usually reach for one of these 336's before others due to the fact they DO keep such excellent time!

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Got some pictures?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Wish I did! Frown I only have my cell phone to take pics with and no photo account to put it.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Mark,

If you want me to post pictures in this topic, forward them to <ihc185@roadrunner.com> and I will post them.

Debbie

Posts: 5201 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks, but I was really just looking for opinions from folks who owned these, considering how many of them WERE made, there HAS to be examples in members collections.
No need to take up space here.
Regards! Mark

IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Mark,

Sorry for the tardy reply, had a few trips to hospital lately and a few more to go. I have had 3 of these, all great time-keepers, I have sold 2 off over the years and still have one left here. Like the larger percentage of Elgins, utilitarian but they do the job very well, a good performer that can be had for a bargain in most cases.

Cheers,
Bila

Posts: 2260 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Thanks, Bila! Hope you’re feeling better!

Regards! Mark

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Yes Bila - speedy recovery! Smile

Posts: 5201 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
posted
Hi Mark, I have not bought a watch for about a year and a half
and that one was a 17 jewel 336 model. Serial number dates it to about 1908
and it is a great time keeper also. I don't carry a pocket too often but I run it for awhile
just to see how it's doing.
It's good to hear there is another 336 fan

Regards
Rick

Posts: 535 | Location: Innisfil in Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 04, 2014
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Actually, some days it aggravates me as it's keeping time better than my Accutron or my fully serviced Hamilton 992B hanging right next to it! Roll Eyes Big Grin

Regards! Mark