Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Original watch owners "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is another watch of mine for which I know who the original owner was. The watch itself is a 14-size Waltham made in 1888. It is interesting from the horological standpoint in that it is an Am'n.W.Co. grade with 16 jewels, probably the highest grade made in the 1884 model. It has an all gold train, even including the escape wheel, and is in an original 18K Waltham case. The case is rather worn. In fact, the back cover wore through partly along one edge but was nicely repaired.

The worn condition does not bother me because of the additional history I have traced from the inscription: "Shailer Mathews / from Mother & Father / July 16, 1890". Shailer Mathews, an unusual name, was easy to look up with Google. He was dean of the Divinity School at the University of Chicago from 1908 to 1933. However many years earlier, in 1890, he went to study for a year at the University of Berlin. Mom and dad must have given him this watch as a present for his trip abroad. Judging from the wear on the case he wore it for a good many years, and I would like to believe that it was in this respected theologian's pocket in 1925 when he testified at the famous Scopes "Monkey Trial". Mathews testified for the defense as to his belief that science and evolution were not at odds with Christianity, stating "We have to live in the universe science gives us." In these times when many are denying scientific fact, based on religious grounds, it is heartening to see that some great religious thinkers did not have this difficulty. As a geologist and a scientist I am proud to wear this watch.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Here is the movement of this fine watch. If you have a watch with a full name engraved as the owner or giver give Google a try and let us know what you found.

[this note added on 1/3/05 in response to Jim McKinney's question, below -- for more information on the engraved star and its role in working on early pendant set Walthams see my post in the REPAIR SECTION

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Here is an interesting 18s Hampden I recently acquired. My search yielded the following;
The owner (C. V. Rattan) of this movement was the postmaster of Cooper, Texas and the town of Rattan. Texas was named after him. Below is the quoted text I found on him;

POSTMASTERS & POST OFFICES OF
DELTA COUNTY, TEXAS
1869 - 1930
COOPER (Delta)

Rattan, Clarence V., 13 Apr 1889

Rattan, Clarence V., 18 Jun 1898

Rattan, Clarence V., 1 Jly 1921 (Acting postmaster)

RATTAN, TEXAS. Rattan is at the intersection of Farm roads 1530 and 3388, between Doctors and Giles creeks three miles southeast of Pecan Gap in western Delta County. The area was inhabited as early as the 1820s, when a man named Blue built a pole hut, probably as a base from which to trade with the Indians. No community developed, however, until much later in the century. The Rattan post office opened in 1893 just south of the present community site and was named for Cooper postal officer Clarence V. Rattan, who had helped to establish it. McLee Parrish served as first postmaster, and the community at that time had a mill, a gin, and 350 residents. Two years later the Texas Midland Railroad completed a line through nearby Cooper, and many Rattan residents left for the new trade center. The Rattan post office was moved to its present site in 1896, but few additional settlers came to the small community. The Rattan School was established in 1900; by 1905 ninety-nine students were enrolled under two teachers. The post office was discontinued in 1906. In 1931 Rattan had one store, and in 1933 the community reported fifty residents. The 1936 county highway map showed a business, a cemetery, the school, and three churches at the site. Rattan had twenty inhabitants by 1950, and a 1964 map showed a church, a cemetery, and a few dwellings there. By 1970 local children attended classes within the Cooper Independent School District or in the Fannindel system in Fannin County. The community reported ten residents in 1990.

COOPER, TEXAS (Houston County). Cooper was on State Highway 21 nine miles southwest of Crockett in southwestern Houston County. It was probably established around 1900. In the mid-1930s the small community had a church, a cemetery, and a number of houses. After World War IIqv many of the residents moved away, and by the early 1990s only a church and a few widely scattered houses remained in the area.

Here is the movement;

Kenny

Hampden Private Label

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Ain`t GOOGLE great?

Here`s the dial;

Kenny

Hampden dial

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
Here's my contribution, a 12-size Burlington, 21-j, adjusted to temperature and positions. Serial number4242086. Nawco Burlington case, 14k gf

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Here's the back, with the engraved signature (I think) of the original owner, A. J. Koroly or Koroby. I can't find him with Google or AltaVista, but there are others with the same surname listed; a biochemist, a young woman on a high school rowing team, and a nurse. He must have been very proud of the watch, since there's a gem stone set in to the back cover. I think it's perhaps a diamond.

posted
Here's the movement:

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
This South Bend grade 407 (15j 12-size) is engraved with the name Ralph Derragon on the inside of the back cover. An internet search revealed that a Ralph Gregory Derragon (b.1896; d.1990), a U.S.Army chauffeur, is buried at the Riverside National Cemetery in southern California. The patriotic theme on the back of the watch would have been a fitting choice for this gentleman.

posted
Here is a mystery to me anyway. I have tried to find some history but so far a blank..Dial signed William A Patten.. Movement is serial # 38531 and signed B.W. Raymond.. I would assume this is the owners name on the dial not the jeweler..This watch is as close to new as I have. the gilding appears as it just left the factory and the case is marked W. P. & Co. which is for Wheeler Parsons & Company.. The serial number of the case is 9...any help on the name would be greatly appreciated..Watch dates to 1868-1869..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Movement

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Jerry, thanks for a great thread Cool as well as inspiration! Really cool stuff!

After reading your thread and becoming inspired, I decided to research three names on various pocketwatches in my collection.

The first pocketwatch in my collection had all the "bells & whistles" to take me where I am today! https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=tpc&s=3206049661&f=1896064771&m=6126020003
This same watch had an inscription on the cuvette "Garland C. Park"
"From Father"
"May 25, 96' "

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
I took my research a step or two further as a "Google" search provided no record. (Family search.org & U.S. Census 1880).

Garland C. Park was born May 25, 1878 in Missouri, died August,1968 in Kansas City Missouri. An obvious birthday gift given to Garland on his 18th birthday, May 25, 96'.

Garland's social security number was also listed. He was one of three siblings, 2 sisters, Donna b. 1874 & Geneona b. 1880. Garland's father, James Park was listed as a farmer and farm hand, b. 1850 in Arkansas. Garland's mother is Sarah Park, b. 1853 in Missouri.

Thanks to the date on his cuvette, I was able to learn much more information about the original owner, Garland C. Park and his family!

A picture of dial!

posted
I was not as lucky (initially) the second time around as I had a name only to research; a full name - "Emily E. Bender" etched on a cuvette. Take a look!

posted
A pic of the dial

posted
Having Emily's middle initial helped in determining her genealogy.
Emily E. Bender was born Dec. 28, 1904 in Shattuck Ellis, Ok., died May 28, 1985. Her social security number was also listed.

Emily was one of 9 children fathered by Gottfried Bender, b. Dec 16, 1871 in Holstein, Russia, d. April 21, 1967 in Higgins, Texas. Gottfried married Eva Margaretha Ehrlich, hence Emily's middle initial "E" (b.Dec. 22, 1878, d. June 2,1959 in Higgins, Texas) about 1900 in Lehigh Kansas.

Obviously Emily was not married when given her watch as Thomas Pearl Griffith (b. Dec. 25, 1902, d. Dec. 24, 1985 in Amarillo, Texas) is listed as Emily's husband, married on March 23, 1929.

Serial number dates this watch to 1901, a possible 18th or 21st birthday gift from her parents.

I was thrilled to find a picture of Emily's mother and aunt.

Eva Margaretha Ehrlich(Emily's mother) is on left and her aunt Augusta Ehrlich on right. Take a look!

posted
I was also able to locate a picture of Emily's grandfather, Johann Dietrick Ehrlich, (on left side) b. May 20, 1846 in Tschebakovko, Russia, d. October 28, 1922 in Shattuck, Ellis, Ok.

posted
Unfortunately, I was not able to locate a picture of Emily. Her pedigree is viewable all the way back to the 1780's. (Russian decent)

My third watch commands a thread all it's own; and a VERY THRILLING find I discovered and you will too in the near future!

I was truly moved by what I discovered regarding these watches with inscriptions names/dates! Time well spent indeed! Cool

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Very intersesting find Stephanie.I wish i knew more about where some of my watches came from and who owned them.You really did great research on yours.Great photos too.

posted
Thanks Kevin! A great deal of time was spent on this research but well spent! I'm thrilled to harvest and treasure this valuable information! The full name and date on my third watch unfolded a real treasure! I'm in the process of gathering everything I need for a separate thread so stay tuned. Cool

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Lindell,
I received the message you left on my answerphone last night! Thanks for the compliment regarding the research I presented on my two watches! Smile

Stephanie O'Neil

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Jerry, sorry to post so long after your initial opening of this string, but I find this watch of yours VERY interesting, as it was just within the past month that I was standing on the courthouse steps of Athens, TN where the Scopes monkey trial took place. The square around the courthouse has changed little since the time of the trial, so if Mr. Mathews made an appearance today, he'd be right at home at the building where he testified. It's very interesting to see the watch he must have carried when at the courthouse I had just visited. Thanks for sharing!

John, I must have the twin of your Burlington. Mine is signed 'A. B. Campbell' in the same script style, but no diamond set in the back. Movement number 3875266, dating it to 1921.

I'm currently processing two more that have inscriptions, but unfortunately, they only have limited information. One I mention in a post regarding gold cases, a Hamilton 974, the other a pristine (and I MEAN pristine) Waltham hunter that is inscribed from a wife to a husband for their 15 wedding anniversery, November 6th, 1889-1904. No last names. Apparently he didn't carry it much, as the case turning and engraving is sharp as a brand new one. I did detect one slight hairline on the dial, but it's hard to see. Not enough info for research.

High regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
It would be interesting to know if Burlington offered the option of having the owner's name or signature engraved on the back at "a slight additional cost'.

posted
Here's a nice one, dated from 1882.

The Pocket Watch is a 14K Rose Gold, 16s Box Hinge HC with an
Elgin National Watch. Co. movement Serial No. 925100. Big Grin

Dave Freeman
IHC Member 321

Posts: 976 | Location: Texas in the U.S.A. | Registered: January 27, 2004
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I also wonder if Burlington was reproducing the owners actual handwritten signature, as though mine is script, like yours, it's different too. Maybe it's an actual hand written reproduction they enameled. Mine is in blue, by the way. I'd like to know too, John! Regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
I have just posted some pictures of another watch in our Photo Gallery. Besides being a quasi-heirloom watch, evidence within the watch allowed me to trace some of its travels from 1800 Paris to mid-19th century New York state. It came into my family, in St. Louis, sometime in the first half of the 20th century.

posted
John, I have an empty Burlington 16S case that I acquired a few years ago that has the name "F. O'Farrell" engraved nicely in script horizontally across the back. This engraving soes not match the example of the above post. Have no idea if this was factory or after the fact.

Tom

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
I'm carrying mine today, and the signature of 'Alex. B. Campbell' is in a script that does not match his either. I can only believe that they took the owners actual signature and engraved/enameled it on the watch backs. We see South Bend catalogs pop up all the time. Has anyone ever seen one from Burlington, especially around the early 20's? Mine dates from 1921. Regards. Mark