Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

"Pocket watch belt holders" "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1110
posted
Just wondering if anyone else has tried out one of those so-called "pocket watch belt holders".I got one off Ebay, made of leather with a metal snap closure...well if you get one, beware!The inside of the snap will mark up your case back.I tried to solve that problem by gluing a soft piece of leather inside it, that stopped any further scratching,but then I began to realize that I was getting a pressure dent in the case back from snapping it shut.Good thing it's a work watch in a silveroid case I carry in it.So, I threw the holder out,and found a nice heavy duty velcro-closure small belt case made for cell phones which really works well.It appears to do no case damage.It's small,but you can easily carry an 18-size or smaller in it.The one I have is made by "CLC", if anyone's interested.It has both a belt loop sewed in the back, and a heavy steel clip.I use the loop, that way it can't slide off your belt.....Ted Brown.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
posted
Ted, for what it's worth, I like to carry a pocket watch in a belt pouch and about 3 years ago I had one made in Australia which has proven to be very satisfactory. It's made of very heavy leather and the male end of the snap closure is protected by a substantial piece of leather. I have not noticed any wear and tear on my watches from being carried in this case. The email address of Sharron and George Taylor is skt.netc.net Give them a try and scroll down to "solid belt" for a picture of the drop down pouch. They were nice to work with; she asked me what color I wanted, etc. Mine is good for a 16s watch and I've been thinking of having her make a larger one for an 18s As I recall I paid about $40 for mine. Good luck! Charlie

chas

Posts: 63 | Location: Northern Ohio in the USA | Registered: June 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The thought I have about this is a cotton "pocket" case that would actually go between the inder lining of your trousers and just outside the elastic of your shorts. This could be made of a very soft material and have a buckskin or glove leather belt loop that holds it to the waistline of your trousers at the "soft" part of your stomach just inside your hip bone, about where the watch pocket is in a pair of jeans. I think I would name it my "Watch Cod" to properly associate it with my historically Male Chauvinsitic backgroud.

You should be able to understand this perfectly from my highy detailed Thurberesque sketch!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Here is one I use the snap is clear of the watch it's like the one's the bus driver's use to use when I was a kid.

Posts: 523 | Location: Northern California in the USA | Registered: November 23, 2008
IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks guys, it's too bad most pants don't have a watch pocket anymore.Dave, you should patent your good idea!

IHC Member 1110
posted
Mike, with that one you'd find out how good your 6th. position adjustment is! I have one like that, but couldn't use it in my line of work.I'd need a new crystal every few days!

IHC Member 1110
posted
Charles, I saw the Australian made one you have, looks like a nice one! Thanks...Ted B.

posted
I wear jeans almost all the time,and I make sure they have watch pockets before I buy them,to hold my everyday watch,an 18s Waltham PS Bartlett keywind,on a short chain and fob. On occasions when I must dress nicer,I wear a vest,and carry a 16 size Hamilton 992E,on a gold chain. Too much on my belt already,no room for a watch holder.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
Site Administrator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Phillip Sanchez
posted
quote:
highy detailed Thurberesque sketch!

I just love it when Dave talks scientific. Big Grin

"Watch Cod"

Dave as this is now obviously ready to be sent to the patent office, in keeping with the notion of political correctness, are we to assume this watch holder will be gender neutral? Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Posts: 4975 | Location: North Georgia Mountains in the U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2006
posted
That's a neat watch holder, but most railroad watches are not adjusted for the upside-down position. Would that affect the performance?

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Steve, that depends on which model you're talking about....Mike's leather snap model or Dave's Watch Cod model.... Eek

Just funnin....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I guess that to make it "uni", I would have to refer to it as the "Watch Clod". Sorry Mr. Thurber, I still think that "The unicorn in the Garden" is an all American Classic!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
One more thought, if you "flip" my little idea 180 degrees it will actully "hang out and hold the watch outside of the belt and not interfere with your "inner workings". I supppose I could put a velcro "flap" on it so it is retained when you are playing "Touch Football" or something.

posted
Is this an adult conversation?

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Cecil, I think that Unicorn in the Garden is for all ages and wise advice for the younger unmarried set.

Picture of Michael Valek
posted
Nice topic, heres mine. black leather, straps to your belt. I have another thats slightly larger for the sz 18 watches.

Posts: 243 | Location: South Central Arizona in the USA | Registered: October 07, 2006
IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice one, Mike.That's about the best one I've seen.Where did you get them?I've never seen one with velcro .....Ted B.

Picture of Michael Valek
posted
An old friend of mine had them made some years ago. Im going to see him later this week. Ill find out if theyre still available. At the time , I know he had to purchase at least ten to have them made. If theyre still being made and if theres an intrest here; it may be possible to make an order, anyone interested? Oh the price back then was 45.00 George Washingtons. What say the group?

Posts: 243 | Location: South Central Arizona in the USA | Registered: October 07, 2006
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Mike do you have a picture of the other side of your watch pocket. I would like to see how it fastens to your belt.

I have been doing leather work for over 45 years and I believe we can make these pockets. We have all of the equipment.

Ernie

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Here's one that I made out of one of the pouches that Desmond sells here on the site....Really simple and similar to Michael's but not as sturdy....It does the job though....

Ernie, if you work with leather these would be pretty simple to make....a suggestion would be to make it so that you can clip it on after the belt is put on and make it so that the clip can be fixed or snapped so that the holder doesn't come off at the slightest twist or strain....

Need to have Black and Brown, for those guys or gals that want to be color coordinated.... Big Grin

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
Picture of Michael Valek
posted
Here is the back. Im not sure I like the clip back, seems it would be another way for it to come off your belt. Ill stick with what I have. Works good ,lasts long time!

Mike