Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Philadelphia Watch Case Co. (Question) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1668
Picture of Donnie Tackett
posted
Hi,

I recently picked up a really nice 1913-1914 Hamilton 992 model 1 movement (serial# 1057978) that is cased in a like new Philadelphia Watch Case Co.(Victory) case. I am concerned that the case is too much like new, I do not know if watch cases have reproductions but this one looks too new.

I know from doing a little research that the "Victory" case is a lower grade case with a 10 year wear thru and that should be stamped on inside back cover. This case has only name and serial# with no year wear thru stamped. I have several of the Philadelphia cases and all have the year (Wear-Thru) stamped inside.

I still have several days to return this watch and would very much appreciate some expert opinions. I will post a couple pics below.

Thanks,
Donnie T. Confused

Posts: 84 | Location: West Virginia in the USA | Registered: January 30, 2012
IHC Member 1668
posted
Front

IHC Member 1668
posted
Movement

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Donnie, with that Montgomery dial, who needs a case?

If the case marks are only from this movement, then I suspect the watch was re-cased which is a legitimate action and the lower cost cases were often reflective of the more experienced but less rich married with Kids Railroad Person.

That at least could be an explanation of the Victory case which was made about the time of WWI and later, making it's legitimate use as a re-case logical.

Seriously, look at what you paid for the watch and make your own decision, but I expect there are a lot of members who would be happy to "dicker" with you if you want to get your money back.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Donnie,

In gold-filled cases sold after 1924, wear-through guarantees were prohibited (see Shugart Watch Guide, page 36), so not to worry, the lack of a guarantee doesn't mean anything bad. That just means it's a post-1924 case.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1110
posted
Donnie, That case style with the French bow and longer pendant, even though "newer" than the movement,looks great with that dial and fancy damaskeen pattern movement,a railroad watch like that may have worn out a case or two in its working life, that's for sure.Those Victory cases are a nice well made case,and it looks right for the age of the movement.(just my opinion).Regards, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1668
posted
Thanks everyone,

It is great to have some expert opinions, I feel much better now.

By the way that case has a great engraving on the back of what looks to be an old farmhouse, take a look.

Thanks,
Donnie T. Smile

posted
Sweet, Donnie!!! It's a keeper IMHO.

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
Donnie, that is one beautiful watch!

It is also a "two screw" 1st model, and I have not looked as everything on my watches is packed right now, but it just may be the last year that they made the 1st model 992. They made a LOT less of the 1st model 992s than the 2nd model 992 that was made from 1915 to 1940 when they came out with the 992B.

You paid less than I get for them on eBay Donnie. I have got as high as $1151.00 for one in a swing out case, and average $450.00 to $600.00 for them all the time.

In my opinion, for what it's worth, you got a GREAT deal on this one.

If you ever feel you don't want it any longer, you know my address!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Member 1668
posted
Hi,

Thanks everyone for all the comments and answers. Its amazing how much better a watch looks when all the reply posts are so positive. Big Grin

Thanks,
Donnie T. Smile

I have been working on picture posting, so one more picture.