• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

This thing GLEAMS "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up this Waltham Martyn Square at a local horology swap meet. Never having owned anything bigger than a 16s watch, I wanted just one larger watch and this thing is as big as a canteloupe. I wasn't crazy about the bronze hands.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
The movement could've used a little cleaning and it was losing about 10 minutes a day. I've read everybody's posts about Chris Abell's work and I thought this might be a good debutante to view Chris's talents, so off to Texas it went.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Chris sent me a shot of replacement hands to peruse:

posted
And this is what showed up after a few weeks:

posted
Look at the polishing that went into this case:

posted
Killer gloss on the caseback:

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Great looking watch, it looks like two different ones. I don't know how Chris does what he does & at a great price.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Absolute perfection:

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
The man does do great work and this was no exception.

Steve

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Great Work Chris, Those original Hands looked like the Solid Gold hands used on many early KWKS, what happened to them?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
Another great restoration by Chris!

The Martyn Square was introduced in 1875 and appears to have been made for export. The dial looks kind of British and many English watches have gilt hands.
The Martyn Square watch was undoubtedly named after the location close to the factory; "Martyn Square, junction Crescent, Spruce and Adams, Ward 5"
"Martyn Sq. is believed to have been dedicated to Waltham resident Henry Martyn a few years after his death at age 38 in a swimming accident on August 24, 1871. Henry Martyn was the popular Associate Director and Chief Accountant of the American Watch Company at the time of his death."

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
What an interesting case! Is it silver?

Steve G.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
This is similar to the case on my Independent Watch Co. stemwind.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Here is the case marks.

posted
Here is the front side.

posted
Here is the movement with the dust cover off.

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Eric - that one is gorgeous! What a nice way to start your 18 sz collecting! Chris does superb work! And I love that pair case. Big Grin

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks all, it came out well this watch and kept good time once serviced, this is one that needed the finger cots to prevent staining on those great plates, Eric asked for a set of black hands that would show the dial off better the gold color ones looked out of place and judging by the beating they had taken to fit must have been replaced at some point. I had to hand blue a few of the screws which worked out well. New mainspring also so hopefully good for many years to come

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Picture of Bruce Cunha
posted
Chris

Any potential that the minute hand survived? Just about to send you my model 1877.. It appears to have the same hands but the minute hand has broken off.

Posts: 83 | Location: Central Wisconsin in the USA | Registered: December 26, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Hi Bruce,
I have 1000s of hands here just a matter of searching, in the last shop buy I found vials full of Hamilton, Illinois Elgin etc PW second hands, that was great find, some more key wind type with fancy ends etc. (before I get bombarded with emails I don’t sell them individually I use them judiciously for repairs on certain watches) so always a chance I may have one.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Nice find Eric. Having Chris work his magic on it is a double blessing. Big Grin

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004