WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My First PW is a Swiss Fake and I Couldn't Be Happier "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Hello,
I am a retired CNR Locomotive Engineer and spent my career working on old Grand Trunk Pacific territory from Jasper AB to Prince Rupert B.C. Up until two months ago I did not even know GTP watches existed, then an old movement and dial came up on ebay. I didn't win it but contacted the buyer and he informed me another had sold previously in a 6 item steampunk lot. I managed to track it down in S Carolina and ended up getting it very cheaply.

I have been in contact with one of the members here and he is willing to attempt a restoration but we need parts. It needs an Escape Pallet plus assorted screws so we felt the best bet was to ask here. If anyone has one of these movements (or any GTP related items) in their junk bin I would be glad to take them off your hands. It will need a case at some point but I suppose I should try to get it running first. It is a size 18 and would date between 1903 when GTP received it's charter and about 1923 when it went bankrupt and became part of the CNR.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
IHC Member 1541
posted
This is my first attempt at watch pictures and I am quite pleased with myself.

posted
Welcome Lorne -

Good pics and and a cool 24hr dial. Smile

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Hello Lorne:

Nice pictures of the GTP Swiss fake, here are some pictures of the real McCoy a Hamilton Grade 940

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
The movement 21 jewels,

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here is a Seth Thomas Ball No 2 regulator from the station at the McBride, British Columbia

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Lorne, I hope you get that restored. Below are pics of a G.T. ad copy and a nice Waltham that was a G.T. Presentation piece from the "ladies of St. Andrew's Parish" which was the Eastern G.T. Terminus.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1541
posted
Eric, thank you for the welcome.

Larry, after I became aware of GTP watches the one you posted was the first one I saw and have looked at and admired it many times.

I recall seeing that McBride clock on someone's site and wondered how it escaped as the McBride station is a museum. I assume as with most other station clocks a supervisor acquired it initially.

The original Wainwright clock was saved when the first station burned down and is still there today. The picture file is quite small and doesn't post well. Next I am through there I will take a photo.

The photo below is the clock from Kitwanga Stn. (73mi. west of Smithers). It closed down in 1985 when CTC came through here. The pic is by an operator who worked there in the 70's. Where the clock is now I have no idea.

Dave, I suppose contrary to the title of my post I would be happier if it was running. I do want very much to restore if only to gloat about it with the dozen or so retired guys who get together for lunch once a month.

posted
Lorne,
I also welcome you to this board, the pictures are great, and hopefully you will get it restored.
Welcome aboard, and I only live slightly east of you in P.G.
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Lorne:

The clock Kitwanga looks like an Arthur Pequegnat Moncton to me, looking at the pierced hands, he was from Switzerland, and started manufacturing clocks in Berlin, Ontario that changed its name to Kitchener after World War I broke out, I've attached a photo of a king Edward model. that's what I find interesting about CNR railway clocks there were so many different companies so you never know what will show up.

Larry

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Here are some photos of another private-label from Prince Rupert.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Elgin No. 349 movement

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
lovely watch David!! It looks to me to say LOL,Loyal Orange Lodge?? and I wonder if the Kitwanga Stn. clock could be the one I bought in BC last year Wink Well OK Roll Eyes it probably isn't but it sure looks the same LOL Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1541
posted
Bill, thanks for the welcome, small world.

Tom, I knew the guy who was the operator at Kitwanga when they shut the station down, I spoke to him about 5 years ago regarding a brass spittoon. Just for the fun of it I will try to contact him again, perhaps he knows who got that clock and we can find out if it made it's way to you.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Well Tom, one down, I was in contact with the guy who took the above pic of the Kitwanga clock. He was able to recall any distinguishing marks that would help tie it to yours.

IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Welcome Lorne, Good luck on the restore it would be a nice piece to tease the group with. There is a fellow in Smithers that I know who possibly could do the work for you "Ralph" I would catch him away from the store and ask him personly. Another neighbour down the road in PG.
Walter

Posts: 105 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 05, 2010
IHC Member 1541
posted
Thanks Walter, Actually Ralph is the first person I spoke to about this watch. He said it needed an escape pallet which he was unable to provide and we agreed that here/the internet was probably the best place to find one.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Boy, talk about a teaser, I just got an email from a guy regarding my swiss fake movement. It says:

"Good Morning; I have had these movt's --not sure if any left! Thanks for your interest!"

So now I wait with bated breath as he searches through his stuff.

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Keeping our fingers crossed for you!
Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 1110
posted
Welcome aboard Lorne!That GTP Swiss fake could turn out pretty nice.Never seen one like it before.If you don't mind my asking, what did you use for a railroad watch while you worked for GT/CNR?I'm just fascinated with RR watches and watch rules.Thanks, Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Member 1541
posted
Thank you for the welcome Theodore.

This was my first watch, a Bulova Accutron R.R. 218-0 Serial #J271342 14KT Gold Filled case made in 1972. I used it for 10 years till it quit and the watchmaker said it couldn't be repaired so I bought a new watch. I stuck it in a drawer and when I retired began looking for someone to get it going again. Well the guy I took it to said "There is nothing wrong with that watch, all it needed was a new battery" It runs fine, a bit slow as they have changed the voltage of the battery but I understand others find their Accutrons run fast with the newer battery. In retrospect I think that first watchmaker may have been the grandson of a guy who sold swiss fakes. Smile
The O-12 as opposed to 12-24 was a bit of an identity crisis with CNR. They were unable to decide between 2401 and 0001.

I have had a few others but have no idea what became of them. I have my first watch but not the watch card and have the last 3 watch cards but not the watches.
Bulova R.R. 960.111Q
Rotary R.R. 93618
Universal R.R. 1205-0

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Lorne!Nice looking Accutron, that dial looks pretty cool!I've only seen one other like it.Did you know any pocket watch carriers on the CNR?Take care, Ted.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Sorry, I kind of thought you were expecting a pocket watch, Smile These were first approved for railway use in 1965 so I doubt there were many who's first RR watch was a pocket watch after that. Larry Buchan was one, as he has said he did it for economic reasons. I paid $150 for mine in 1972 and the same watch would have cost Larry $175 when he hired on. He opted for a used pocket watch for $50. I hope I got the story right Larry.

I am trying to do a little project here in my hometown where I put together a picture of a retired railroader and his watch. The idea came from a lady I know who still has her deceased Father's watch and offered me a pic of him and one of the watch. I am just in early days on this but will see how it goes

IHC Member 1110
posted
Lorne, that $150 was a hefty price to pay, were you able to buy that thru payroll deductions, the way it was done here by most U.S railroads?For 1972 that was a lot to have to shell out all at once.That would have really hurt!Thanks again, Ted.

IHC Member 1541
posted
Yes it was pretty hefty. I used an inflation calculator and it comes out to $772 in 2010 dollars. I had been working for the railway for two years as a signal maintainers helper when I transferred to running trades so I was flush at the time. I do remember paying cash and my non railway buddy being astonished at the cost.
I don't recall being offered the payroll deduction option in this instance but it was available because I used it to pay for my work boots when I hired on.

Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Yes Lorne you got the story correct, another factor that comes into play is that making a big investment in a railway grade watch is a gamble. New employees are on probation for six months, and if your new career doesn't work out your stuck with a watch that is nice but not practical for everyday use especially pocket watches. In my years of collecting I have bought and observed pocket watches that were in brand-new condition after sitting 30 or 40 years in a dresser drawer.

Larry

IHC Member 1110
posted
Thanks Lorne!That Accutron is a nice keeper, I think those have become a collectors item.They go for some high prices on auctions.Take care, Ted.

IHC Member 1541
posted
I guess this thread should be in EUROPEAN pocket watches, my apologies to those who care.

I just read on "another site" about how thin the gold was on the cases of one particular type of swiss fake. I would think that the idea was to keep costs down and using nickel cases would have been the way to go. Anyone care to share their knowledge on this?

IHC Member 1541
posted
A while back I received an invitation to attend a pocket watch show in Prince George B.C. I always like an excuse to drive into the city so off I went.
What a great time I had meeting two interesting and knowledgeable
IHC 185 members in Walter Colk and Bill Manders. They had a wonderful display of about 100 timepieces and shared a great deal of information during the couple of hours I hung around BS'ing about watches. Pure fun it was and I will call on them again when I visit. Thank you gentlemen.

And I am making headway on the restoration, got parts and a case so it will happen.

posted
Lorne,
Thank you for the kind words, it was a great event, and was visited by a lot of people that were truly interested in pocket watches. Over the period of the 4 days, we saw several really nice watches brought by for identification and background.
It was fun and educational for both Walter and I.
It was a pleasure to meet with you and we enjoyed it immensley.
Thanks again,
Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Member 1418
Railroad Time Inspector
posted
Lorne, I just picked up a CCR in good shape to match my DR in not so good shape. I found 5 Ball swiss dials all in good shape if you need one let me know.
When you come to town let Bill and I know and we will have a (ology) meeting Smile
Walter

Posts: 105 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 05, 2010
IHC Member 1541
posted
I will certainly let you know when I come that way again, looking forward to more tic talk.