Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois conversion dial????? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
Picture of Steve Middlesworth
posted
Can anyone tell me if this is a dial to convert a hunter movement into a standard case? I have seen these before as well as the so called "sidewinders" and was wondering if this was the way around a stem being next to the "3"

Seconds on three

Posts: 1980 | Location: Kentucky in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2008
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Lindell,
You should be proud....I got the URL thingy to work.
Steve

IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Conversion dials are fairly common. Any metal dial can be re-dialed so that it is a conversion dial. It seems these conversion dials at one time were fairly easy to buy on the aftermarket.

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Frank,

Thanks for the info. I won it for about $4.25 plus shipping. I'll put it on the shelf labeled "novelties, what in the world?" I am sure someone will ask.

Steve

IHC Member
posted
Steve-I just had to comment on your "Novelties" shelf-that's a good idea...mine might get crowded quick!

Marty

IHC Member 1101
Site Moderator
posted
Marty,
I enjoy buying old shipping tins and movement containers, especially the double sided glass Illinois ones. I am trying to get one of each size. They sit on the shelf above my monitor and someday I will build a glass fronted display cabinet for them. They look really neat with an old movement sitting in them. So far I have three of the sixteen size and couple of small ones about an inch in diameter (size 6 maybe). I have an 18 size that is more like a tin so I am guessing they were made for the much older movements before the glass ones were available. Very interesting items from the horological past.
Steve

IHC Member
posted
Steve-I was just checking the "Search" for info and you'd be amazed at some of the stuff on salesman's cases...I think you'd like it.

Marty