Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is this? A shipping container? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Bought this at a flea market, guy said it was some kind of case for a pocket watch. Tried a size 18 movement in it, fits perfect. Some kind of shipping container or salesman's case? Any ideas, opinions, comments. There is a small hole, possibly for a winding stem.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Halves separated.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
With movement.

posted
It is a movement holder, I have had plenty, some like this are nice, some even are silver. I just sold a huge collection, the guy had dome great holders like this, if you cannot complete the watch and the movement is a good one, why not give it a good home to display it.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
posted
Thanks Andy,
That movement is just one I had in the parts box, used it for a test fit.
Gary

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Gary it looks like silver one have you test it.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
Andy,
I've been giving this some more thought, could movement holders like this have been used by jewelers to display Uncased movements, so that they could be shown to prospective buyers, without the fear of damage by the buyers handling, possibly losing hands or breaking a balance.
Gary

IHC Life Member
posted
When a pocket watch was sold at a jeweler, the general procedure was the customer picked out their movement and then picked a case and the jeweler put the movement in the case and the sale was made. Manufacturers shipped their movements in these containers to the jeweler. The fancy damaskeening we see had a great deal to do with marketing. It shouted 'pick me' to the potential customer.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
posted
Thanks Guys, appears to be silver, but not tested.

posted
In the old days they seemed to have salesman samples of almost everything. Seems you could not just google it in 1880.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Gary you are correct. The customer selected the movement and then the case. The fancier the movement looked the more likely the sale. Just think what a shop full of "highly jeweled"Swiss fakes would have looked like.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009