Internet Horology Club 185
What is this? A shipping container?

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1086047761/m/5703967977

August 28, 2013, 20:52
Gary E. Foster
What is this? A shipping container?
Bought this at a flea market, guy said it was some kind of case for a pocket watch. Tried a size 18 movement in it, fits perfect. Some kind of shipping container or salesman's case? Any ideas, opinions, comments. There is a small hole, possibly for a winding stem.

August 28, 2013, 20:53
Gary E. Foster
Halves separated.

August 28, 2013, 20:53
Gary E. Foster
With movement.

August 28, 2013, 22:05
Andy Schwartz
It is a movement holder, I have had plenty, some like this are nice, some even are silver. I just sold a huge collection, the guy had dome great holders like this, if you cannot complete the watch and the movement is a good one, why not give it a good home to display it.
August 28, 2013, 23:11
Gary E. Foster
Thanks Andy,
That movement is just one I had in the parts box, used it for a test fit.
Gary
August 28, 2013, 23:32
Peter Kaszubski
Gary it looks like silver one have you test it.
August 28, 2013, 23:44
Gary E. Foster
Andy,
I've been giving this some more thought, could movement holders like this have been used by jewelers to display Uncased movements, so that they could be shown to prospective buyers, without the fear of damage by the buyers handling, possibly losing hands or breaking a balance.
Gary
August 29, 2013, 09:06
Roger J. Nolfe
When a pocket watch was sold at a jeweler, the general procedure was the customer picked out their movement and then picked a case and the jeweler put the movement in the case and the sale was made. Manufacturers shipped their movements in these containers to the jeweler. The fancy damaskeening we see had a great deal to do with marketing. It shouted 'pick me' to the potential customer.
August 29, 2013, 21:27
Gary E. Foster
Thanks Guys, appears to be silver, but not tested.
August 29, 2013, 22:53
Andy Schwartz
In the old days they seemed to have salesman samples of almost everything. Seems you could not just google it in 1880.
August 30, 2013, 11:43
Richard M. Jones
Gary you are correct. The customer selected the movement and then the case. The fancier the movement looked the more likely the sale. Just think what a shop full of "highly jeweled"Swiss fakes would have looked like.

Deacon