Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

The wrong way to install a mainspring. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Some one put this mainspring in a watch I bought by hand. They did not use a mainspring winding tool. The watch was running 40 minutes slow. Only in some positions. Which I believe Dave Abbey mention that it would effect.

Dave Abbey will love this photo.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
That is impressive!

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
posted
Hey Eugene, Looks like a little more than just a "hand" installed problem. I have a mainspring winder,but I find it is more trouble to use that it is worth. I have been installing my mainsprings by hand for many years,and have yet to get that effect. That really looks more like it might have been done by stretching it while removing it at some time in the past. Either way it has certainly been subject to some serious abuse. My jeweler friend is a third generation watch repairman,and he also told me that he hand winds his mainsprings.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
You could be correct all I know is this is one messed up mainspring.

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Boing!

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
It looks pretty tightly coiled too, and therefore probably has no energy left. It looks like it is a piece of "steampunk" jewelry Smile

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
posted
I didn't realize Eugene was into the "steampunk" jewelry! I'm sure I could find some good old parts for him to make some more from. Smile

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
I don't know nothing about this and I have never pulled/changed a mainspring, however Big Grin

I am not shy Smile

That M/S pictured looks to me like it is what I would expect a M/S to look like,

That has taken a "set" over a period of time and needs to be changed. It will never impart it's full power to the train since it has metal fatique.

Whether one hand winds or uses a winder has no bearing on when or whether a M/S will need replacing, I think Confused

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
It does look like a mainspring is suppose to look except that it is heli coiled. and also set.

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Yes, It should be flatter (not cupped) and spread out more. This mainspring would rub / scrape against the upper or lower portion of the barrel losing energy from friction if installed anywhere, and due to its "memory" it would have very little energy left anyway. This is usually the second thing I suspect when checking a watch that is running too slow, the first is gummed up jewels, the second is a spent mainspring.