IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
I have Fahys HC that says "WARRANTED TO WEAR FOREVER"

Is that 10K gold filled?

Thank you for any help.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010

posted
20-25yr cases are 14k GF

and less than 10yrs are 10k GF or so I have been told

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
I hear that Jon, but what about "FOREVER"?

What does that mean?

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010

posted
Fahys had some "funky" stamps on cases. Therefore, "forever" to me means solid gold and will NEVER wear through because it is SOLID, but with a Fahys case it is probably more like a 14k GF case.

Don't ya think?

I believe it was also a "newer" stamp they used on their cases. The closest stamp I could find to your description is the one I put a red check by.

Are there any other marks on the case?

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
i would think it's like my "permanent" case,better than 25 years wear guaranteed

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
"Forever/Permanent" were the top of the line gold filled cases and were guaranteed to never wear thru to brass.

However............ Smile

Today some 100 years later, it wouldn't surprise me to see some wear thru Wink

Of course if the case maker could be found, I feel sure an agreement could be worked out since the cost was as low as $10 per case at the time Eek

I feel sure 10 and 14 Karat gold both were used on these type of guaranteed cases.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
I had a feeling that you might have the answer to it Buster. Thank you.

Jon, you are right on with the red check mark. That is what is on it, except mine says FOREVER. The good thing is that there is no wear through at all on it.

Like you had said to me once before Buster, "be safe!!"

I'm just going to call it 10K gold filled.

Thank you everyone for your help on this one!! Smile

Regards,
Larry

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Larry Buster is, as usual, right on. A jeweler friend with excellent gold testing equipment tested 3 cases for me that were marked Permanent or permanently and none were solid gold. The Fahy case co. was, along with Keystone rather notorious for deceptive markings. I cannot recall any case marked permanent or forever that I have seen that was in fact solid gold of any K.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
if you ask my ex wife, forever is 9 years.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009