Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

New York Standard "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Does anyone notice anything unusal about this 18Size New York Standard? The seller assured me that the watch had just been repaired by a watch expert.

18s

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
I appears to me that the "repair expert" screwed a small brass plate over the balance cap jewel, probably to keep a loose jewel from falling out.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
Ed,
Did you look at the regulator? It appears to be a crude replacement.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
The brass "regulator retainer" appears to hold the "custom" Winkregulator to the balance cock....

John Pavlik

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
I think you are correct. The NYS watchh cuts shown on p.47 in Roy Ehrhardt's ID & Price Guide #2 show the index pins on the regulator arm to be at a 90 deg angle to the index arm. The "replacement" has the index pins located 180 deg from the index arm.
If the hairspring hasn't been modified, this example should run fast with the index arm in the middle of the scale.

Ed Ueberall
NAWCC 49688
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
The repair expert certainly went to a lot of effort to fabricate an regulator for a New York Standard, even if the arm is slightly too long and will not pass by the screw. This has to be a great example of a "do-it-yourself" repair, and if a replacement part was not available, it did get the watch running. But it does not keep very good time.

NYS

posted
Ed,
You are correct on the position of the regulator - a few drops of oil, moving the regulator to a usable position, a few winds of the stem, and "its running". Fun morning when its too cold to go outside.

running

Picture of Brian C.
posted
Wayne,
If you find out who the repair expert is, give him my e-mail address so he can get the right parts next time.
Brian C.

pwpartsetc@pwatch.com

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002