Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Early Rockford Winding/Setting Wheel "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...have acquired an early Rockford pw(S/N:174360) which allows key/pendant winding (lever setting)...have a question: since I don't have a Rockford material catalog I don't know the # of what surely must be a 'clamp or retainer' for the 1st winding wheel which sits loosely in a yoke attached to the pillar plate...the wheel is not confined in this yoke and therefore winding with a bench key or stem is very erratic as the wheel is loose and will even fall out in the process of reassembly...any help wud be appreciated...tnx...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Jim, could you post a picture of the area your interested in, not sure what you want,as far as trminology goes.I have a Rockford parts list.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
I've experienced several Rockford winding material search sagas. They altered these parts on a regular basis (at least it seems that way to me). I think a pic is going to be a requirement unless you can refer to a catalog cut or what. I don't own the Ehrhart Rockford book which may have catalog references to these parts. All I know is that they must've had 8-12 incarnations
of these, and some can be the devil to find!
-Cort

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...sorry, I was so long in returning to the post...seems other issues at the bench develop and get in the way...I've attached a photo of the winding yoke as I call it...the winding wheel inside moves about and can actually fall out in reassembly w/o what I would consider a clamp of some kind to hold it in place and allow it to make good and reliable contact withn the next winding wheel in the series not to speak of the winding stem at the pendant...any confirmation or solution would be appreciated...

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Jim here is a picture fron a rockford it,s several years later than yours this one is a 2 piece setup there is a sleeve over the winding gear to hold it in place,.i belive some of the Hampdens used a similar setup.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
a picture of the 2 pieces.

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...yes Samie, I believe you're on to it...however, in this case the wheel is bare and doesn't have a sleeve...nevertheless, there must be a 2nd piece that fits thru this wheel and holds it in place...wud like to get a part# so I can search/cue the parts suppliers including our own Brian C who may have it...tnx again fellas...

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Jim i would say the picture you posted will help a lot, someone out there will either have what you need or can maybe point you to the part . Smile

Picture of Frank Juchniewicz
posted
Jim, I think I may have the part number for you. Your movement is a model 3,18s,htg. The Winding Shell part numbers for the 18s ,f.Pl. Are shown as: model 7th;8th #225, model 7th to 10th #653. Nothing is listed for 18s models 1 to 6 under Winding Shells.

I hope that's of some help to you.

Frank

Posts: 440 | Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Jim,
I e-mailed you a chart of the Rockford winding pinions. I tried to post here but the picture was too big. E-mail me if you find what you need, I may have it.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002