Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Most accurate Elgin RR made "Click" to Login or Register 
12-Size Expert
Picture of Robert Schussel
posted
Below is my most recent Railroad purchase. The watch is in its original package
and the train is about 2.5 inches long and 2 inches high.

The watch was $1.99 and Postage was $10.15

Does anyone know when it was made or who made it.

Bob

Most accurate elgin made

Posts: 621 | Location: Vallejo, California U.S.A. | Registered: July 10, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

That little choo-choo train is the height of cool.

I love it!

Cool

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Matthew E. Sutton
posted
I dunno, but the seller has some very interesting inventory... Cool

Posts: 495 | Location: Kailua, Hawaii in the USA | Registered: March 14, 2005
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
If I'm not mistaken, from the script, it looks like a new item. The latest ones coming out today have the name Elgin written like that, but of course, you would have to check the movement to see if it's battery or wind.
Most of the new ones are designed to have the watch part come out for changing the battery, so you can try to take the watch out of the train by prying it at the ridge of the train and watch. Shouldn't hurt it at all.
Either way, the watch should be able to be removed from the train for a closer look.
I have seen a lot of this type of new watch and some of them are so fun. I really like the train!
Good luck.

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
12-Size Expert
posted
Shelia

Thanks

I do know that it is a quartz movement thus the claim of the most accurate Elgin movement available.

When I get it I will give people an update.

Bob

posted
The movement is most likely of Japanese or Chinese manufacture. LaRose had these small snap-in fit-up movements in their catalogs for a few years; both the movements alone and in cases. I think Target had a selection of small clocks with similiar movements branded Timex.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
If the movement is Chinese, and I suspect it is, it may not be as accurate as you hope. The Chinese seem to have a problem getting their crystals to oscillate at the proper frequency and make no provision for adjustment like is found in Japanese movements. I have a Chinese made quartz "Gruen" wristwatch that doesn't run as accurately as my Elgin model 571 B.W. Raymond.

JMO

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
12-Size Expert
posted
Should I demand my $1.99 back if the watches accuracy is less than an Elgin grade 571?

Bob

posted
Bob,

You are the one that titled this thread "Most accurate Elgin RR made" so if it turns out that it is not that accurate you will have to decide on asking for your money back.

My comment was on the Chinese apparent inability to get their quartz crystals to operate at the required frequency. I have had several time pieces of Chinese origin that have failed to keep accurate time.

A broken watch is correct twice a day but a watch that gains or loses is only right when they are being set!!

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004