Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watch Pockets for Ladies/YES Watch Pockets "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
1865/A way for the Ladies to "wear" a watch.

Sheila

2Watch Pocket1

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
# 2 An 1863 Watch Pocket

Sheila

5Watch Pocket

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
I have seen images from around 1879 - 1890, or so, of ladies in fancy little vests with pockets to hold their watches. It must have been a fashion thing.

The Civil War buffs are into period costume, otherwise, there is not much research into this area. It's good to see someone looking into it.

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
I saw this on ebay a while back and thought it was interesting so I saved the pic.
A novel way to convert a small ladies watch to a wrist watch via crocheting.

Smile

Kenny

crochet watch

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
Greg,
I thought they were neet too. I understand that they were worn all over the place. Worn Very small anywhere over the chest area, to Very Large as a regular pocket at the waist. They were made with velvet, silk, ribbon, beads, you name it, and the rich even had them, however they were only made by the best shops with the best materials. Also, "the not so rich" had them too, but they were hand made, and were of any material they had, but still the best they could afford. It was indeed a fashion statement.
Very convienent too.

Kenny,
That is so unusual! I think it's a great idea!
Looks so "Not Normal" but I bet it's comfortable!
With my luck, I would have a ton of yarn stuck in the hands in 1 minute flat.

What a smart thing to make though! and it even Looks Good! Thanks for that one, it's great.

Sheila