WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

At what level of watch collecting do you like best? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This maybe a bit strange but at what level do you like to collect in. See some but not all listed below and feel free to mention any that I miss.

1- Within one brand
2- Within a certain segment (RR), 12 dress, 6 s ladies etc.
3- open face only, or hunter only.
4- Within a jewel segment 21, 23 etc
5- history, to include that of the brand, economic times etc
6- within a limited number of grades or types.
7+ any others that you care to add and comment on

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Claude, very good questions, as I love them all, if I could answer your question more specifically it would have to be after I start the 12 step program for "Watchaholic's Anonymous".

Seriously, I "see" a story behind all the watches I look at and also "feel" like many of them are survivors calling for help. If I have the means I will try to administer help to those I am lucky enough to acquire.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Claude that is a very interesting topic and I suspect I will figure it out in the future! I collect primarily American Railroad grade watches and particularly Illinois and Hampden. Over the years that has taken me down the path of interest in the history of the Dueber-Hampden company and its predecessors and the Dueber case company. I am now looking for a Dueber bicycle and into the possibility that Dueber made a car. I think the history of American watchmaking has caused me to consider a collection of American made watches related to advancement and new ideas thru the years. I guess you could add a technology category for collectors.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
Deacon and David I notice as I collect watches I tend to look into other areas surrounding the time the watch was made, including economics of the time, recessions, depressions that were before the 29-39 much better known depression, so that respect I have a better knowledge on the background of our history than before I started collecting watches.

I like to know the history on some of my watches that I have that were engraved with names and such so I find having access to people like Tom B a major asset.

And as you mention I think that your collecting habits always evolve as you go along.

I used to would not give a 18s watch a second look, seeing this as being too narrow focused I have since changed that.

I also thought it would be an interesting topic for all without being devisive.

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Member 1369
posted
I focus on Rail Way pocket watches that could have been used in rail service in Canada. While that is somewhat broad, given the requirements for RR grade/approved pocket watches, it does restrict me from buying a lot more watches that I see without the Canadian requirements. I also try to find watches that I can get some history about as well and do have a few that have a 'story' but these are hard to come by.

One additional rule that I set for myself when I started this addiction was that I would keep only one or two of any particular type - grade or model etc - in my collection and if I came across one that was identical to one already in the collection, I would buy the new one only if it was unique or 'better' in some way and then sell the one I already had. The 'better' criteria applies in that I try to upgrade any watch I have to being as close to unused as possible.

Beyond the RR criteria I have not limited myself to any one manufacturer or era. I have American watches that I prize from pre-1900 and have just recently obtained an excellent example of the 1956 special issue by Zenith - the Extra RR 56. The CPR Crest and CRTS watches are also high on my list for multiple holdings.

Ralph

Posts: 542 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: February 10, 2010
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
I collect Hamilton, Ball and Illinois railroad watches.

Areas of special interest include 992B's, early Ball-Hamilton brotherhood models, and the 163/163A series Bunn Specials (a.k.a. The Seven Stars).

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1614
posted
Although it seems that I love all timekeepers,I seem to limit myself primarily to American Railroad type.At first primarily Elgins, I now find myself gravitating towards Hamiltons especially 992E's and early 992B's and Illinois Bunns.

Bill

Posts: 160 | Location: Northeast Ohio in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I'm with Dave Abbe. All watches are small wonders. Lately I've been collecting RR grades (any and all)

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
For me, it is purely marine chronometers, the older the better. Give me something with history and some miles (nautical of course) on em.

Posts: 102 | Location: Houston, Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2009
posted
Newbie here, but I'm interested in RR watches in particular, including the trolley types. My collection is mostly Hamiltons at this point.

DS

Posts: 51 | Location: New York City in the USA | Registered: October 07, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I have a large and eclectic pocket watch collection, but with a strong focus on elegant high-grade gentlemen's watches in solid gold, platinum, or jeweled cases, although I have a quite a few outliers, such as railroad watches, ladies watches, and a Hamilton 21 chronometer. My collection is especially deep in high grade watches from the best French, Swiss, and English makers, e.g., Audemars Piguet, Frodsham, C.H. Meylan, Leroy, Patek Philippe, Touchon, Usher & Cole, and V&C, but I also collect high grade U.S. watches, with a special emphasis on Elgin C.H. Hulburds, Hamilton 400s, Illinois Illinis and Extra Thin Model 1 (grades 435, 437, 438, and 439), and the highest grade Walthams (especially American Watch Company and Riverside Maximus).

I do not have and will not collect any watch that is not in very good condition, in good running order, and keeping time. I have a handful of key-wind watches but do not collect them because I don't like winding them. I do not collect railroad watches (although I have a handful, e.g., a Hamilton 946). I do not collect Hampdens, Howards, Rockfords, or South Bends (although I have nice examples of all of them) because I haven't taken the time to learn enough about them to collect them intelligently.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Member 1110
posted
Great suject Claude!I only try to collectRR and street railway grades, mainly Hampden and Waltham.I've been fascinated with railroad watches ever since I was a kid.I only go afer 17-21Jewels,only have one 23J,an 18S Special Railway,I especially like 19J watches,to me they are the ultimate railroad watch.Since it was just Thanksgiving,we should all give thanks for IHC185, wer'e lucky to have this great platform to put out questions like this...Ted.

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
My main interest is also railroad grade watches, I particularly like hunter cased variations, such as Hamilton 993, 941, 973, Also Hampden Railway, New Railway, etc. I don't concentrate on any particular company. My most recent buy was a Hampden, Wm. McKinley, 21 jewel, lever set, model 4, cased in a gold filled Kenosha (Wisc.) hunter case. I also have a weakness for 2 tone movements.

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
IHC Member 1508
posted
I am pretty much a Hamilton guy, as they are my favorite, and I know the most about them and the company. Mostly 16 sizers, and it doesn't matter too much to me if they are railroad grade or not, because I don't think Hamilton ever made a crummy watch, they always shot for being the best. I've got 2 railroad grade Hammys: a 1909 940, and a 1928 992 that I just finished putting right. I've also got 2 974's, and a 956 that I'm going to start restoring. And if a 10 or 12 size comes along that looks really good and tickles my fancy, I'll buy it. I've also been dabbling into Illinois country...but very cautiously, as they are very complicated to understand, model wise. I have a 1918 Bunn 19j that Chris is currently overhauling, and a 1917 17j grade 706 "Time King" that I'm going to be sending down to him soon.Oh yeah, I must not fail to mention my 1918 Burlington 21j! It is my favorite watch, love it. And I've got my wife's great grandfather's 1906 Elgin "Overland" Regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
posted
Mostly Illinois, Elgin, and Hampden for me, with a few Hamiltons. Size doesnt matter as long as I can take it apart for a coa (18s-6s so far).

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Here is my list of collecting areas (too many):

• Illinois, any size, but I tend to gravitate to scarce 12 size and 16 size watches. I've also gotten into 18 size Bunn watches in the last few years since they are beautiful and scarce. My Illinois collecting enjoyment is greatly enhanced by the Illinois "Blue Book". Without it, I would be lost.
  • Hamilton, mostly 16 size, 992B, 992, 992E, 950, 950E, 950B, 994 and the military watches 4992B, 2974B, Model 23, Model 22, 36 size chronometer, etc
  • Keystone Howard, 10 size and 12 size watches in the original mahogany boxes with the original papers and if I'm lucky the original outer cardboard box.
  • Elgin, 16 size, mostly BWR variants, wind indicators, and military watches. Also, surprisingly, 7 jewel Elgin movements because I like to work on them. I'm a sucker for a fancy dial Elgin of any size.
  • South Bend, 12 and 16 size mostly. A great range of affordability and variety here. I'm trying to buy up original boxes and paper examples, but they don't come up too often.
  • Rockford, any size as long as they are in great shape. Very hard to find the 12 size Rockfords for some reason.
  • Hampden, any size. Just love the quality for the price.
  • Chicago P/L watches since I'm from there.
  • Canadian 24 hour dial watches. I'm having a great time trying to find out all the different varieties of 24 hour dials out there. My favorite are 24 hour Montgomery dials since they are so busy.
  • Military pocket watches and wrist watches, I have examples from Waltham, Elgin, Hamilton, and Omega so far.
  • Large silver case keywind watches from companies in Illinois, I have examples from Cornell, Elgin, Rockford, Aurora, Illinois. Still looking for a Peoria.
  • Goofy wrist watches, from the early 70s to now. I just love Goofy watches since they are whimiscal and some run counterclockwise
  • Mickey Mouse watches, both pocket watches and wrist watches from the 1930's to now
  • Fancy dial hunter case examples - these are the probably the only ones my wife approves of.
  • I also collect loose dials, movements, parts, tools, ephemera, books.

I buy when I have money and sell some when I need some money, but my goal is to have a nice collection to pass down to my boys some day.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
I started out with a few key wind Walthams, then other Walthams. One or two of some of the other brands that needed some work. Then Hamiltons bit me big time. Now I mostly add to my collection of local private labels. (75 mile radius from where I live) I find it very interesting and rewarding looking up the history of the jewelers and their families. Some of them have very interesting lives. Some from rags to riches, some from riches to rags.
One fellow comitted suiside on Christmas day leaving his wife and 4 children.
Another shot and killed a friend while deer hunting. Still another pulled a sleigh with all his tools and possessions into a town one winter night. Set up business and before he died in later years became one of the towns prominent citizen's doing much for the town and the surrounding area.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
posted
Great topic for Newbies like me still searchng for focus. I try to focus on 16s RR and Hamiltons and Illinois in particular. But there are so many lovely distractions. To begin with I shied away from full plate watches, but they are now of more interest...but still love to see the works...3 finger Getty ahhh.

Gary

Posts: 586 | Location: Bastrop, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2011
posted
I usually Collect/buy watches that are not working. They provide me with something to do in my spare time and usually a great deal of satisfaction when they come to life again.

Regards, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
posted
I collect mostly railroad grade, especially later models by Hamilton or Elgin because they seem to be the easiest to find in good condition. I have a few others such as Hampden, Illinois and Waltham.

I the age-appropriateness of the case for the movement is important. Over-all condition is most important.

If I see a size 12 watch that I like, I will pick it up. The size 12 watches are much more affordable.

Posts: 148 | Location: Seattle, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I thought I would add my interests, the watches I try to keep are ones in loaner cases and ones with engravings on them that I can try to locate the original owners information.

Just about everything I collect I am more interested in the history of the item than the item itself. A pocket watch or a gun or anything else that I can say this use to belong to so & so and this is what I know about him or her.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
My focus is Illinois 12,13,12/14 and A.Lincolns of any size, the more unusual, the better!

Regards,
Bob

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009