Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Fun Pins "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
going through a draw found these, not sure what the 2 bar one in the middle is.

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
How collectable are these things? ever seen any sold recently

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
Watchmaker
Picture of Leon Harris
posted
Hi Chris,
"not sure what the 2 bar one in the middle is" it is the logo for Jewelers of America.

Posts: 296 | Location: Livingston, Tennessee USA | Registered: May 20, 2006
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
quote:
Jewelers of America

Hi Leon just did a search and you got it, I see some are for 40 & 50 years!,

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

The political ones all have value and are very collectable.

If those Kennedy Clip-Ons that appear to be unused are as good as they look you may be onto something. See if they have any reference to 1960 in the fine print. Likewise see if the "Nixon Now" is dated, it is probably for a primary election. That one with "Reagan '76" is from his first serious bid for the Republican Nomination to run for President, so that a very good one. The one with "Keep Coolidge" may be a reproduction, check it carefully.

All with fraternal organization names are also collectable.

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
The kennady ones (qyt8) are makred "The Green duck Co, Chicargo" nixon ones no markings, just found another "I gave to the IRS"

IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Oh yeah, they are collectibles okay....my wife has a large collection of High School Pins that she collected while A.D. at a local school district here in So.Cal....

It has been a long time though and do not know the market, but most of her's came from trading while at seminars and so forth....

Fleabay would be the place to sell them unless someone here in 185 is a collector....

Ragards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Heck I gotta look for my Wallace for President Button. Marjorie almost died laughhing when I told her how I got that!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I sold a couple of old political pins from the 1920's and late teens a few years back on Ebay. One sold for $2700.00 and the other sold for $3200. Actually I sold about 50 pins from the era for over $11,000.

So, yes, old politcal pins have some value. However, ones from the 1940-60's don't bring the kind of money we got for the really old ones. But they should bring a fair price in todays market. The problem is they made more of them and more of them have survived so the supply is good which drives the price down.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Ernie sound like you did well there I don’t expect much for mine just clearing out the draws in this mountain of stuff I got he saved everything from matchbooks to train wheels 1000s and don’t mention rocks!, Looks like I will swing them by Ebay and see what happens, I may also take a antique mall booth for a lot of the items I have.
The Kennedy pin and badges would you sell them as one, Lindell says that is how they came on a strip or sell over time singular.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Hi Chris: That is a good question. I am not sure. Right now the Ebay market is down.

I think I would be tempted to sell them individually but space them out over time. I think whoever bought them as a lot would do that down the road as most collectors only want one in there collection and will sell duplicates to buy something else.

You might try grouping some of them together to make a small collection so you can get a higher starting price. Ebay fees have gotten a little high for selling individual items and you might attract more bidders who want one or two of the pins and outbid each other unaware they are bidding on different pins.

Chris, You have a good question and I am not sure the best answer. Lindell has a good point that someone may want them as they are too. Good luck, Sorry I don't have a magic ball to see the future and give you a diffinative answer.

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
Ernie,,, Now I think I know how you guys can afford these nice timepieces!! Big Grin

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Bill:

I wish you were right about that. I was actually selling the pins for a friend on consignment. He purchased them at an estate sale in Minneapolis for $50.00. My commision was healthy but I wasn't collecting watches at the time. I did get some nice Studebaker things though!

posted
Here is the pin I wear every day to signify that we will be holding the Olympics in London come 2012!

Posts: 264 | Location: Westbrook, United Kingdom | Registered: June 15, 2007