Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 16 size Model 88 with double roller.. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1613
posted
A friend asked me about a Waltham Model 88 with a double roller that he has.......I have only seen one other 88 with a double...Most are single rollers....Does anyone have any info on these watches...Just curious...

Posts: 2006 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
posted
I wonder if double roller model 88s date from the later 1890s, after railroad standards were more or less established.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
posted
William, That sounds right.
I have two Riversides, 6562876, and 7020898, both from 1897-99. First one is Hunter, second is open face. I got them both as non-working parts movements for practice to fix, and was very surprised when I found they were double roller. After cleaning and mainsprings they work great!
The only other double roller 1888 I've seen is a Railroader.
Gary, do you Know the serial number of your friend's watch?

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
William and Gary,

I just found I have another earlier 1888 American Grade Serial # 5000516 that is double roller and 17 jewel. This one is from 1892 or 1893.

Steve

IHC Member 2030
posted
Excellent photos Steven.
Please relay how this is done for the ignorant iPad users.
Is posting good photos something an old person can achieve?
Thanks
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Mike,
I don't think age has as much to do with it as the photo editor involved. I'm 73 and use a PC program called PhotoScape, to crop the photos, and Irfanview to create the panoramic images. Both are free to download and easy to use.
Send your phone number and best time to call, to my contact email if you want to know more.

Steve

IHC Member 2030
posted
You are correct Steven, should have said Luddite.
I am 63 and ready to retire, the “new versions “ of programming are exhausting.
Thank you for the tips, apologies for whining.
Regards
Mike

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Life Member
posted
Mike,

You are right about the "new versions", they can wear you out!
Steve