Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 941 Hands? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...I just bought a Hamilton 941 PW but wonder if the hands are original to the'piece..specifically, the minute hand...my Hamilton 940 has a 'spade' minute hand and I wonder if the 941 shouldn't have one too...thanks...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
posted
Jim,

I don't recall ever seeing that minute hand used with the Hamilton Watch Co. marked dial (early variation). Right off hand I can't recall seeing that minute hand used with 18 size watches either although I could be mistaken. However. I think heavy double spades would be appropriate for this movement. What is your serial number?

Rob

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Jim,
The "Swigart Manual of American Watch Movements" only lists one type of hands for 18s Hamiltons and that is thin spade, both hour and minute.
Maybe one of the Hamilton guys can tell you for sure.

Smile

Edit; I agree with Rob. That minute hand almost looks like those used on 16s.

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
The early Hamilton material catalogs show thin and heavy spade hands available for 18 size watches. My understanding is as a rule that the thin spades went on the lower grades 924/925, 926/927 etc. and the heavy spades on the higher grades 936/937, 940/941, 944 and 946.

Rob

Posts: 580 | Location: Kingsport, Tennessee in the USA | Registered: November 26, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Jim,

Rob and Kenny called it well... There are a few choices and variations in Hamilton hands around the turn-of-the-century era in which your 941 number 89042 was produced.
If you retain the hour hand you may want to replace the bold minute and second hands. In the image below I set two watches to the same time as yours in order to help illustrate the point. Your 941 is a great watch, I'd want to find a nice hunter case or in the alternative a marked Hamilton display case such as you see below.

Lindell

Below, representative correct for around 1900 Hamilton hands...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...thank you all Rob, Kenny & Lindell...will attempt to find the appropriate minute/second hands to fit...thanks much!!!...

Jim
IHC#234

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003