Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

A big one 8.6 ounce "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Here is a big one the empty case and crystal weights 6.3 ounce with the movement it,s 8.6 ounce ..Talk about a pocket full .

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Here is a picture of the case along side a 16 size case just too get a idae of the size of the watch.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
Case is alaska silver

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
That's a BIG BOY alright Samie Eek

I have the same Alaskan case also. Here is a picture of it beside a "regular" 18sz Elgin !!

They are quite the "extra large men's size" Big Grin

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Theres a special place in my heart for the big boy cases. Here's some of my 5-6 oz coin silver cases. You'd have to have a good belt to put one of those in your pocket and carry it around all day.

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
You guys stop it....I really love those big Coin or Sterling Silver cases....I have a few also but I do not have an Alaska Silver Case....got to get me one I guess....

Thanks for showing us your big cases....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Anyone got one of these, weighing in at 10+OZ and case alone 8 1/2 oz Eek

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Chris-

This is the Rockford that you posted a few weeks ago, correct? It's a beauty and you probably won't ever see one that big again! Whats the diameter of it?

Jared

posted
These ain't pocket watches.

They're wall clocks. Big Grin

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Yes I am trying to see if anyone else has one I am sure there where many made but this is the first I have owned, main body dia is just over 65mm

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Are the cases marked Alaska Silver actually nickel and no silver?
Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
posted
Chris-

That would sound right that it is just over 2.5" at 65mm. The 6oz cases I own run 2 3/8" or about 60mm.

Jared

IHC Member 1291
Picture of Buster Beck
posted
Hey Tom !!

Samie's case is earlier than mine according to the serial numbers. I have had one other that was earlier like Samie's. Samie's is marked "Alaska Silver" as was my earlier one also. But the one I pictured and now have is marked "Alaska Metal".

I am under the impression that all of the Alaska cases were a nickle silver/silverode type of metal and not true coin silver or sterling silver.

They were probably changed to say "Alaska Metal" later because of the problems the manufacturer faced with calling them "silver".

This is only what I believe, and not what is documented anywhere that I know of.

regards,
bb

Posts: 6376 | Location: Texas in the USA | Registered: July 27, 2009
posted
Here's a coin silver Deuber.Weighs 8 oz.on my postal scale.Houses a fine 15 jewel Rockford.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
# 2

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
# 3

posted
# 4

posted
# 5

posted
It measures 2.339 inches.I'd hate to have it in my pocket for any length of time.These thongs would pull your britches down.Regards to all.Norm