Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Niello cases. Is anyone collecting these? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi all,

I was very pleased to acquire my first Niello-cased pocket watch recently, here in Japan. I think this is beautiful (sorry the photography isn't as good). Is anyone else collecting Niello?

Niello case back

Posts: 746 | Location: Tokyo, Japan | Registered: December 25, 2003
posted
Another ...

Niello case back 2

posted
By Respect ...

Niello dust cover by Respect

posted
And here is a link to an interesting article about Niello cases by James H. Wolf Artistry in Time

Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
Niello cases, in good condition like yours, are wonderful to collect. I have two American niello cases and am still trying to find a nice Swiss one for my collection. Here is one of my favorites that I missed on eBay a few years ago.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Glyn,
I love these, they are fantastic. Yours looks especially nice too!

Jerry,
I would be upset about losing that one for sure. That is really one of the nicer ones.

I don't see many nice ones on the net these days, has anyone else seen these lately?

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of David Johnson
posted
Glyn,

It is interesting that you started this thread. Here is one ending today that I very near went after. The bidding just reached more than I was willing to spend.

Niello Auction

Posts: 606 | Location: Dade City, Florida USA | Registered: December 12, 2002
posted
That's interesting,Dave. I do regular searches for "Niello" on eBay and elsewhere and that did not appear on my radar.

BTW, I got mine for $50 ... bad photos on the auction, a non-running movement and a below-average dial contributed to that.

I cleaned mine up somewhat. One has to be careful with that, since the patina is usually part of the beauty with sterling silver. I could have buffed up the silver but I think that it's best left alone; every time you clean up silver you lose some. What's the Latin for "cleaner beware"? Wink

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Hi Glynn,
Wanted to add to your Niello thread! Love those Niello watch cases. I have the following one and also a Niello watch case only. Would like to get a movement for it.

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
posted
Pic of dial

posted
Cuvette

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
That's a little beauty, Stephanie. Can you post a pic of the other one (the case only)?

posted
These are so beautiful, thanks for sharing them.

This case is marked 1851

I found another one on ebay, listed it in "Pitfalls" may want to check it out.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...ageName=STRK:MEWA:IT

Sheila

Hebdomas square Niello back

posted
# 2

Sheila

Hebdomas square Niello

posted
Thanks Glynn! BTW- The Niello watch is a 12s.

Here's a pic of my Niello watch case only. The case is not in great shape. What I like are the copper tone wolf and hunting dog. An example of an early Niello case. Very low case number.

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
Thanks Stephanie. Any idea of the date?

BTW ... I thought there was a discussion on here about the square Hebdomas Niello above ... did I dream it all?

posted
Stephanie,
Wow, I've never seen one like this one. I like the way it looks so "Active" that is so neat.

The animals stand out wonderful with their color too! Very nice Big Grin

Sheila

posted
Hi Glyn,

The square case watch is on the "Avoiding pitfalls section"

Heading:- Niello Case Watch 1851.

Regards, Barry Parker

Posts: 59 | Location: Bateau Bay NSW Australia | Registered: January 25, 2004
posted
Hi Glyn,
My guess of age - early 1900's possibly earlier. The number inside Niello case is 36968 and again stamped inside of cuvette. Also stamped inside cuvette is 0.935 as well as the sterling silver swiss hallmark (twice), shown on page 455 of 2004 Shugart Watch Guidebook, under Hallmarks of England. There is also an interesting mark inside outer watch case as well as inside cuvette. The best way to describe it is an H over a sideways F. Anyone know what that represents?

The number 68 is stamped inside rim of watch case also. Can anyone give more information regarding my Niello case?

BTW - the copper tone is actually rose gold inlay! Wink

Stephanie O'Neil

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Just in case (pun intended) anyone would like one of these..

NIELLO-FINISH SILVER CASE SWISS WATCH IS INTERESTING!

This on-site auction ends on Sunday the 4th at 22:00

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Stephanie, I believe that the HF indicates Hugenin Freres, who were noted, in part, for their Niello cases. The markings I've seen, have the H and F joined so the second vertical line of the H becomes the vertical line of the F.

Kate N

Posts: 3 | Location: New York, New York USA | Registered: December 20, 2005
posted
Oops, make that HUEGENIN Freres. Unfortunately, all I have is a very small Niello cased wristwatch, with a rather plain design, which pales next to the beauties shown above.
I enjoyed all the pics immensely.

Kate N

posted
Kathleen,
Thanks for the info! I'd love to see your Niello wristwatch. Could you post a picture?

Stephanie O'Neil

Picture of Jessica Lane
posted
The following from the write-up referred to by Glyn, above, gives a slightly clearer characterization of the art deco period than the recent article in the bulletin.

It's also interesting that art deco styles tend, from the examples, to be abstract rather than figurative as are the Art Nouveau designs.

Although I enjoyedthe article on Art Deco watches, it fell short in the area of defining "Art Deco" in watch design--as opposed to any general sense of artistry or fanciness of case or numerals. For example, after reading the James Wolf write-up, the "Lady and Tiger" watches possibly should be considered either Art Nouveau, or a combination of Art Nouveau and Art Deco styles, rather than pure Art Deco.

Niello watches are quite fantastic, and ever since I noticed one a few years ago, I've had a desire to have one. Not a desire I've acted on, but maybe I will. They are extremely beautiful.

Thanks to everyone who posted an example.

Jessica

The Niello Watch Case, Artistry in Time by James H. Wolf

"Niello watch cases are unique in that they exhibit influences of both the Art Nouveau and Art Deco schools. The Art Deco period dated from 1925 to the 1940s and the designs emphasized geometric shapes, chromatic contrast, and linear styling (Figures 7 and 8.) With the discovery of Tutankhamen in 1922, designers began using scarabs, obelisks, and other motifs drawn from the ancient Egyptian arts. The Deco period was also a time when man became more and more fascinated with the new modern machines and inventions such as the automobile, plane, air balloons, trains, etc. (Figure 9.) These became focal points for many designs on niello watch cases. Sporting scenes and equestrian motifs were also very popular."

Posts: 834 | Location: New York, New York U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2003
posted
Here are a few pics of my wristwatch. You can see the chain-link design on the back and it does continue on the front.
It's a recent acquisition and needs a good COA. It appears to be a 10 jewel cylinder escapement type--if the lower jewel count matches the upper, so I suppose it's not of better than average quality. I can't find any maker's mark on the movement, so it's either absent or under the dial. The case is by Huegenin Freres. It's interesting in that it looks like a pocketwatch with wire lugs, note the obvious hinges at 6 o'clock, but it was definitely made as a wristwatch, as there was never a pendant for a bow to attach to, judging by the niello.
All-in-all, I think it's a very interesting watch.
Sorry, but my photography skills (as well as the quality of my camera) are second only to my lack of typing skills. These, unfortunately, are the best I can manage:

Niello front / back / movement

Kate N

posted
Hi Kate,
Really cool wristwatch. I've never seen anything like the chain motif. With a little work, this watch will be beautiful! We'll all be waiting to see the outcome once your project is complete.

Stephanie O'Neil

posted
This watch belonged to my great aunt and soon will be given to my daughter. Its a medium grade cylinder but the case is pretty nice.
-Cort

jpg

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004
posted
case back

jpg

Posts: 536 | Location: El Cerrito, California U.S.A. | Registered: October 04, 2004