• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waldren Pocket Watch "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a 21 Jewel/Size 18 Waldren Pocket Watch that is supposed to be early 1900's. The piece #634712 in an Illinois Watch Co. Spartan Case #0521214. I cannot seem to find anything out about the watch. I went to put it on eBay but I could not find any competitors. Could anyone help me?

Posts: 2 | Location: Carlsbad, California in the USA | Registered: October 28, 2008
Picture of James H. Miller
posted
hi it looks to be swiss.they made a lot of copies back then.that may have been made to copy a waltham there are folks who collect them. i may be wrong what say the rest of you?

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
Roxie:

What you have here is a Swiss fake. The name Waldren imitates Waltham, and although the plates have 21 Jewels marked on them, the bright ruby jewels you see are purely cosmetic, the watch would actually have only seven jewels. There were many of these fakes made in the late 1800's and early 1900's some other examples are the Time Ball Special to imitate a Ball Railroad Grade pocketwatch, and Grand Trunk Pacific Official Time Service that badly imitated a high-grade #940 Hamilton.

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboard Roxie,

Jim and Larry said it well. In fact the case is the most valuable part of the watch in question. Look closer and you will find the case is a product of the Illinois Watch Case Company of Elgin, Illinois. Thet were not related to either the Illinois or the Elgin Watch Companies.

Here is a link to other "swiss fakes" being discussed...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums?a=search&reqWords=swiss+fakes

Consider IHC185™ Membership which is only $12.00 a year and provides unlimited NO-FEES buying and selling including real-time auctions. See this link...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/1386019371

Keep up the great posts!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002