• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My "new" Hamilton 940 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I decided I wanted a 940 to add to my collection. I had read that it was the watch that made Hamilton's reputation. I came across this one that was recently serviced and appears to be in great condition. The serial # is 648048 which dates it to 1910. It is housed in a massive Illinois Watch Company nickel silver swing out case that has a brass inner ring in the front bezel. The ring appears to be threaded in and it gives a nice accent around the dial. The crown shows some wear but the watch winds and sets very smoothly. It also keeps very good time.

Nice dial and brass ring

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
posted
The fully marked movement. I understand some do not have the 940 mark.

Posts: 328 | Location: Plattsburgh, New York in the USA | Registered: December 17, 2012
posted
Inside of bezel showing the brass ring

posted
Case markings

IHC Member 1016
posted
Very nice looking watch and they are accurate. Everyone should have at least one and that looks to be a great example.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Looks like an honest watch to me Donald, the movement looks very clean and is late enough to be fully marked.

My only suggestion would be to replace that badly worn crown, which should not be too difficult. Those "pumpkin" crowns are still readily available.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Yes, nice watch, I have one similarly marked.

I especially like the brass accent ring in the case, never seen one before.

Your watch, #648048 was finished on Dec. 9/1909 and left the factory on June 9/1910 in a group of 10 940's being sold to L.Gutman & Sons Cincinnati Ohio.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011