Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Looks like a good Type III number to me... "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Looks like we may have an important watch in our "Members Horological items For Sale Mart" right now...

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/6346095371/m/7391062141

From what I can see the serial numbers for the final 23-Jewel Type III run is 5305001-5306000 and 5305899 is the one Don Herrington has up for sale! Does anyone have further information on this rascal?

Very clean looking movement 5305899 and more...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Yes, this is the last full run of type III's but of course the last ones were the first 100 block of the l63IR's range 5,321,001-100 and a few in the second 100 block as well. But this one is definitely near the end.

The thing that my eye picks up as "different" for this late a serial number is the fact that there are no pillar plate slot cut outs under the balance, I notice the double roller print is a little dark in the picture, so I hope it is red as well as if it is black something's not right. Maybe Don will humor us and pull the dial off of this one and confirm the pillar plate has a matching number to the one on the barrel bridge. If it does indeed match, this watch will be the latest one I have ever seen without those pillar plate cut out slots under the balance. Of course we know that Illinois was notorious for assembling at random and intermingling once there was a change over coming as is the case here where there was to be a change over to the "new" 163's shortly and of course a year later the Elinvars which was regarded as a "Hamilton improvement".

So Don, let us know if the pillar plate matches on this one and the Double Roller is engraved with red ink as is the rest of the engraving on the movement. This will help my research as I will record it in my notes and records, thanks, and Happy Huntin!

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Mike,

Knowing Don as I do my bet is the numbers match. Big Grin

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Of course, Don is a nice guy and always fun to talk with when I have seen him at the shows we always have fun. I was just stating this in case he bought the watch and has not looked at it "under the hood" so to speak and is now selling it as he bought it, without any in depth inspection. It would just be nice to verify so I can record it as a numbers matching watch. By the time this watch was produced it most definitely "should" have these "channels" under the balance in the pillar plate. I just have never seen one this late without them and I always enjoy learning and seeing new stuff that is an anomaly. I am used to seeing these channels or cutouts around # 5.25 million and there after. I have recorded them as early as 5,218,916 so the further or later I see a sixty hour Bunn Special. after this the more of interest it is to me and of course the bigger the red flag. If I saw this watch at a show I would never buy it unless I was allowed to look under the dial, it's just too big a risk and too easy to confirm in a matter of a couple minutes.

Again , maybe Don will humor us and confirm the numbers match as he probably has not even gave it a thought that anything is "different" with this one. Learning all the time and that's what makes this board so fun and pleasurable, dealing with nice people of integrity. Happy Hunting!

posted
hello fellas i have been off and on the computer lately so this is the reason for my tardiness.... check the time on my post and we will see how long it takes me to pull the dial and post a picture...... comin' up.....

Posts: 1342 | Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: January 10, 2005
posted
under the dial....

Posts: 1342 | Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: January 10, 2005
posted
closer look under the balance wheel...red double roller...

15 minutes to locate the watch... pull the dial... untangle about 3 linear inches of micro fuzz from the 4th wheel post... reasemble...photo...and reply.... Confused didn't think it would take me that long...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Wonderful news Don!

Your pictures are the absolute best and they really tell the tale. Mike and every other serious Illinois collector will be elated about this find. So now boys and girls, another previously held belief goes out the window...

"We're learning something new every day" (And that includes today!)

Thanks a million,

Lindell

Wink

posted
for clarification...
mike u talking about the curved cut under the balance that is about the same diameter as the balance wheel?

th
wondering what i am missing...

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Terry and everyone,

Compare the image below and particularly the areas indicated by red arrows to Don's images above. What you see below is the norm for later serial numbers. The watch Don sold in our Chapter 185 Mart today was unexpected and is the highest number known thus far to have been produced without a pillar plate "slot" or cutout.

Below, the "cutout" typical of later Bunn Specials...

posted
thanks.... understand fully.

posted
Thanks Don for the great post and pics, glad everything matchs up and I will record it for my records. You never know what will turn up, but of course you see my point that it is better to be safe than sorry. This watch that you sold is the EXCEPTION TO THE RULE at this late a serial number so again the only way to be sure one is not buying parts is to insist that numbers match.

It is obvious that they used an older style pillar plate on this one as they did not waste any inventory. It will be interesting to see if a correct 161 or 163 ever turns up without the channels. Great to see this one as the more we see the more we learn and as Fred A. Hansen (Sr.) says, "we just haven't seen it all yet,..."....and I might add we probably never will! Thanks to all and Happy "Numbers Matching" Hunting!

posted
thanks all, i never gave a thought to what has been mentioned about the cutouts...it was the 173 case that caught my attention...

IHC Life Member
Wristwatch Host
Picture of Tony Dukes
posted
Mike, Don, Lindell, anyone
Why the cutout. Why the change with the cutout.
Thanks for your reply. Very interesting post.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Atlanta, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: August 01, 2003
posted
The cut out is for getting a better view of the roller jewel action when repairing or adjusting.

Posts: 21 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: August 30, 2003
IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Peter,

I had an impression this access from the dial side was to ease assembly and service. Thanks for the explanation.

Lindell

Wink