Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Tiny Maximus "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
I found this watch in my small pocket watch drawer. It is a 3/0 size, 19J, OF Riverside Maximus in a 14K solid gold case with a swivel crown. The serial number is 18005024 putting the production date at approximately 1910. This watch is in phenomenal condition for being nearly 100 years old - almost unused except for very minor scratches on the case. Took right off when I wound it a few clicks.

I couldn't find any 3/0s Waltham watches listed in the Price Guide. However, I went through the entire "Grey Book" line by line and also thoroughly searched the on-line Waltham database list. I was able to find out that only one run of 200 was produced in an OF configuration and one run of 300 in HC. So this watch has suddenly become the rarest watch I own!

Enjoy the pictures. I've included picture of my HUGE 12s Riverside Maximus for comparison.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Case back. It shined up like a mirror with a quick polish with a rouge cloth.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Inside of case back. The markings are:

WARRANTED
TO ASSAY
B.W.C.Co. (in a dog bone shape)

It passed Lindell's patented flex test to prove that it is solid gold. Wink

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
The movement

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
The 3/0 size 19J Maximus next to the 12 size 23J Maximus

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Thanks John for sharing that little treasure!

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5225 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Here is an in between, size 6 Riverside Maximus. It looks very similar to John's tiny one.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
John,
A nice little beauty you have there. It would look great in any Waltham collection.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
John, that is a nice piece....some of these little ones can get under your skin.... Big Grin

BTW, what is:
"Lindell's patented flex test to prove that it is solid gold."
Could you describe that....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
Jerry,

Lindell showed me a trick to tell if a case is really solid gold or gold plated. This confusion sometimes arises when a case is marked 14K (but is gold plated) or isn't marked at all.

An easy way to tell is to take the cuvette or the back of the case and VERY GENTLY squeeze or flex it. On a solid gold case, the case back or cuvette will give just slightly. On a gold filled or gold plated case, there is no give.

Do a search for flex test and you will find more info on this handy method for determining the real deal.

Hope that helps,

John III

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
Very pretty watch, John! A little powerhouse in that case. I think we tend to favor the big boys, but the ladies size pockets seem to have the most elaborately engraved cases and can pack all the bells and whistles of a fine watch in a small package.

And thanks for the "flex test" info. I hadn't heard of that.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Hey Thanks, John....I didn't know that was any kind of test or what, because I have done that on a few of my watch cases and found that to be true....a solid gold case is 'softer' to the touch than a gold filled or plated case is....hmmm thanks for the info....

BTW, that 12s 23j Maximus is a looker as well, thanks for showing us that one as well as the small guy....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
posted
I found this old Bulletin article called "Waltham's Magical Maximus" written by Peyton Autry. Unfortunately, I don't have a date that it was published.

Anyway, it has a list of all of the Waltham watches that were called Maximus. An amazing 24 different combinations of models, sizes and jeweling were produced with the Maximus name. The table below from the article shows the production figures for each version. Note that Ethan's 6 size is equally as rare as my 3/0 size Riverside Maximus. By comparison, my 23J, 12s, Model 1894 was relatively common with almost 3500 produced.

John III