• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

SWCo "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
With all the beautiful Illinois watches presented in this forum, I thought I'd show the keywind Bunn's unloved cousin the SWCo. I like the solid balance with three arms.

Posts: 486 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: March 13, 2010
posted
The dial.

IHC Member 1736
posted
Now that's cool. A bit off the beaten track and quite unique.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Kevin, you have a very unusual watch that was actually named "Interior" as a "class" of movements. I am not surprised that this (s/n 84177) has "SWco." engraved (instead of "Interior) on the movement plates. That saved some cost in hand signing the hand scaled dial.

As an early (1877) model 1, it has considerable merit for still using a Swiss made balance wheel which was probably more economical than making this lowest grade with an in-house wheel.

While an early Illinois (when it was still Springfield watch Co.) watch, it is "modernized" with the later layout regulator pointer showing to Balance Cock timing marks and the hairspring stud also secured to the balance cock.

The earliest ones had a regulator arm pointed to marks on the main top plate and the hairspring secured with an over-arm that cleared over the balance wheel.

The motor barrel cover outline is unique too. A nice collector.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 1736
posted
OK, this is why I love this hobby and new found adventure... a concrete history lesson in the technical evolution of the American pocket watch, the pocket watch industry and early american and international business all wrapped up in to one.

Now, while others are trying to find the fourth variation of their 992's or debate the serial number placement on their Bunns...

I find myself wondering if I can find one of these SWco's... the one immediately before it and the one after it...

What great fun.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Good luck with that Paul it will
be easier to find the 4th 992 variation them the SWCo.
I do not even own one Hamilton Big Grin never mind four
of them.
BTW Kavin nice find did you find this one in AZ?
as we are both from Az.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
posted
I have a penchant for some of the low end, or less collectible movements. I was a paleontologist, and most fossils are found in a very incomplete state, just like most of my collection. What most folks look at as parts movement, are for me affordable learning tools.

Peter, I get most of my items on the bay. The local jewelery scrappers and pawnshop either e-bay the stuff, or have working relationships locked in.

thanks,
Kevin

Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Kevin, the first Springfield Watch Company ( Illinois ) watch I've seen, great looking piece, thanks for posting.

Gary

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Great thread, thanks guys!

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005