Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Illinois Ball Size 12 19 Jewels Help! "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 708
posted
I just bought this beautiful Illinois Ball size 12 19 Jewel pocket watch. I was told byu the seller that the regulator spring is "half broke" but that does not effect the runnning of the watch. When I pulled out the stem to set it and wind it nothing happened except the stem did move out. the hands won't move and the watch won't wind or tick. Otherwise the watch appears to be in almost mint condition. Should I send it back is worth keeping and fixing?

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
Is it stem set or lever set?

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
IHC Member 708
posted
It is stem set

Steve Cohen

Posts: 153 | Location: Montgomery Village, Maryland USA | Registered: March 15, 2006
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hi Steve,

The answer to your question lies in two words... one is condition and the other is cost. Whether the condition and the amount you paid justifies correcting the problems remains to be seen. Frank or one of our other service experts could probably straighten it out as these are very good watches.

Let's begin by comparing your movement to the one from my collection shown in the image below. The reference to "regulator spring" more than likely refers to the whip spring that holds tension on the regulator so it does not easily move without being properly adjusted.

If you can share an image or two and let us know what you paid it would be helpful.

Ball-Illinois 12-size B402247 from my collection...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
South-Bend
Picture of Frank Kusumoto
posted
I can think of about five reasons why it wouldn't set with the crown pulled out that are all easy fixes. If something is broken or missing and it's a hard to find part it gets tricky.

Frank "407" Kusumoto

Posts: 1029 | Location: Denver, Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2004
posted
Steven, Is it the original case? If not, the sleeve might not be set to the proper depth. Secondly, a common problem on stem setting watches that have sat for a long time is that the rod that moves inside the winding arbor becomes frozen. It does not move when the stem is pulled out and does not engage the clutch. A cleaning and oiling takes care of this. There could be a setting (shipper) spring misalligned or broken not allowing the setting clutch to engage.

I think these are some of what Frank was thinking on his prior post.

Tom

posted
Speaking of regulator whip springs, what is/was the rationale for leaving or taking them off an otherwise good watch: lost the screw(s), broke the spring, unaware that they could be important, or just plain laziness?

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks for the information. I will take it to get cleaned and checked. I believe it is the original case. I could attach a picture if that would help.

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
Lindel and others I just looked at the picture you sent. Mine is exactly like that one. It is in great condition.
these are the best I have

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
Here is the movement

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
This sis the movement

Steve Cohen

IHC Member 708
posted
By the way I paid $169.00 for the watch. sorry I forgot to put this in

Steve Cohen

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks for the additional information Steve,

The watch looks like a good one at a reasonable price.

I have learned to factor normal service into my purchases and many of them require service as they enter my collection. The whip-spring you need may be a little tricky to find, however one from an Illinois 12-size may work. However, Ball watches were built to their exacting specifications in those years and there are differences.

Tom gave you good advice and I agree with both him and Frank that you may have a combination of issues. However normal service, consisting of cleaning, oiling and adjusting is probably the way to go. It is the logical first step and Frank would be a good choice to straighten this one out.

Excellent topic.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks Lindell, I knew I might have to have some work done but expected it work as advertised. I would be happy to have Frank work on that watch if he is willing.

Thanks Again everybody

Steve Cohen

IHC President
Life Member
posted

Thanks Steve,

Another point...

Most Ball watches sold to the public from about 1906 on came in marked as "Ball-Model" cases. Your 12-size Ball-Illinois was produced much later by which time practically every case would have carried "Ball-Model" markings. You should find that distinctive marking along with the maker's name inside the case-back.

These are truly great and as yet underappreciated watches!

Lindell

Wink

IHC Member 708
posted
Thanks Lindell, I do appreciate it. It's one of my nicest watches.

Steve Cohen