Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Annealing a bent pivot to straighten it "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I quote Patrick Wallin (Aug 18, 2013 posted under "Staff Replacing"):

"Once bent the pivot is weakened and when bent back it becomes ever weaker yet. It WILL soon break. Just replace it and be done with it."

Of course, Patrick's advice is the surest way to go. However, would it be possible to "get away with it" by annealing the bent pivot before bending it straight? Is there a procedure for doing this effectively? If successful, will an annealed pivot last?

The movement: Waltham Traveler Ser. 18,231,055 (c.1912).

Posts: 72 | Location: Athens, Greece | Registered: January 21, 2013
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Paul,

You have a common watch for which parts are relatively inexpensive and readily available.

If you lack the needed skills and tools our own Dave Abbe of any other IHC185 repair professional should be able to assist you. Let us know how the story ends.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Paul, if you have the experience changing staffs, I would recommend that first.

To anneal these bent staffs would require oven style heat treatment as using any type of external heat source could quickly result in a "flameout" instead.

Those staffs that are slightly bent (LESS THAN 30 DEGREES) may possibly have not exceeded their elastic modulus limits while bending and MAY straighten when carefully manipulated in a balloon chuck by slowly turning them and gently holding a burnishing bar or flat end straightening tweezers to the bent pivot.

They will remain quite fragile, but may then work.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
I agree with the quote of Patrick Wallin. I personalty have never annealed one. but the staff would have to be striped bare of all attaching parts and seems to me annealing the pivot will soften the metal. Just replace it. Your going to have it stripped to a bare staff anyway. I suppose you can do it anyway you want and make it work but you still have a defective pivot, subject to breakage when you need it to work the most. If $$ is an issue I may have a Traveler staff in my stock pile I could give to you. I agree with Dave. He is right on the money in my book. When a pivot is bent the metal on the outside or hi side of the bend stretches severely and on the inside of the bend it compresses severely. When you try to bend it back the metal on the outside will not go back and it will start to crack on the inside of the bend. If you had a blue staff you MIGHT be able to do it as they are not finished at the factory. If you try to straighten the original staff there is at least a 80% chance you will break it. I have always said "To each their own" I think it would be a good experience for you. Go ahead and try it. Let me know the results. We might all learn a lesson here.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Plus, if it is not bent back to near perfect, won't it start to wear the balance jewel unevenly and possibly cause a problem there?

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
posted
My graditude goes out to all members for your wonderful feedback and wisdom.

Patrick, I thank you for offering to send a spare staff which I most gratefully accept, on the condition I reimburse all your expenses (via PayPal is easiest for me).

Best regards and thanks to all.

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Dan Carter has an interesting comment deserving a reply.

First, "perfectly (unbent) straight" is an admonition with no definitive answer.

Second, in a jeweled watch bearing the Jewel hardness surpasses the staff. So any "Wear" would be to the staff, not the jewel. (lacking the presence of abrasive in the lubricant.)

Third, as the balance wheel rotates between two pivot jewels, the axis of rotation established by the pivots is therefore straight. A bent pivot would only show a slight "shake" of the wheel, unlikely to cause much excessive wear.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
To be sure I send you the proper staff I need to know the pivot size. Also doe's it have an oil groove? Is it the new or old style? And the total length would also help. I think it's a # 861 but could be a 2532 too.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
Patrick, as a first step before stripping it down, I will scour the web to look for the spec.

REQUEST TO ALL: If any knowledgeable member already knows the spec / part number for this Waltham Traveler balance staff, would they kindly post the info/picture here.

IHC Member 1555
posted
Balance staff should be either a #4860 or #4861 Paul, the first has a straight shoulder and the latter a tapered shoulder. you will have to inspect it to check.

Best Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011