Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What size is this Hampden please? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello;

Can anyone tell me what size this Hampden movement is?

I bought it recently and the seller says the case diameter is 2 1/16" I thought it may be a 16s but not 100% sure.

Can someone tell me by the serial number? Serial # 450485

Also, the jewel count?

Thanks for any help.

Bud

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
posted
Bud-

From the picture there, it is an 18s 15 jewel. Don't have a hampden reference book, but definately an 18 size movement. maybe he meant to put 2 1/16"

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
He did indeed put 2 1/16 Jared. That was my error. Sorry about that and thank you for the size verification.

I was beginning to think it was a 16. Not that a 16 would be bad, it's just that I like 18s better.

May I know how you know this is an 18? Not questioning you understand, I just want to learn from where this information can be found.

Bud

quote:
..... maybe he meant to put 2 1/16"

posted
Bud-

It is as much anything reading and memory. If you have one of the complete price guide books, take a gander at the few pages towards the back of each companies section. They have pictures of the different models for a lot of the main companies. It is a very good reference to look at for checking these things out.

Jared

Posts: 1626 | Location: North Dakota in the USA | Registered: December 09, 2009
posted
I took a look someplace and supposedly its 11 jewels.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
posted
Thanks Jared; I do have that book (2011 edition)and will take a look to find what you're talking about.

Bud

quote:
If you have one of the complete price guide books, take a gander at the few pages towards the back of each companies section.

posted
Thanks Jim.

Bud

quote:
I took a look someplace and supposedly its 11 jewels.

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
Bud,

It's size "large". :0)

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
Picture of David A. Vasarab
posted
Hello,

It is a size 18 with 11 jewels grade 31. Made in approximately 1887.

Dave

Posts: 76 | Location: Parma, Northern Ohio USA | Registered: January 02, 2006
posted
Other "things" that may help you with 18s are the style of the balance cock, the position and type of regulator and the barrel bridge placement and style........nice watch by the way.....
Regards, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
IHC Member 1016
posted
Bud, I was a bidder on that watch (hoping to "steal it"). Nice buy!

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007