What intials do you see ?

Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
Charlie,
My best bet would be; R C S

Do I win anything?

Big Grin

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
posted
could be C harles R S ides too maybe

Posts: 1342 | Location: Northwestern Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: January 10, 2005
Picture of Sam Williamson
posted
Just from the apparent layering, it seems to be RCS, but how do these engravings really go? Does anyone know? Maybe a jeweler/engraver? Is there a standard for this type of art work that determines the sequence?

Sam Williamson

Posts: 618 | Location: Northwestern Florida in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 27, 2002
posted
My first post here. I C (LCK)
Denny I

Posts: 3 | Location: Avoca, Iowa USA | Registered: March 21, 2003
Picture of Kenny Drafts
posted
There are four separate segments plus a small bit (yellow) that doesn`t seem to fit in anywhere. Could be a "T" "C" "S" + a squiggle?

Kenny

Posts: 359 | Location: Lexington, South Carolina USA | Registered: July 28, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
It might just be an "H" (green) and an "R" (blue).

[thanks, Kenny - the colors really help]

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
If you add the small yellow piece to what looks like a T could be an F but it doesn't really fit right. At first I thought the T was a L too.
Neat!

Actually the R is a Q

So that makes the real definition is

T he C harming Q ueen S heila Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Hi Denny, welcome to Chapter 185! See what kinds of interesting horological discussions we get into here? Big Grin Big Grin

Here's my 2-cents worth: I don't think there were supposed to be any "squiggle" elements in this style of monogram, everything had to be part of one letter or another. So if you put the red and blue portions of Kenny's rendering together to make "R" then I interpret the monogram as "R C S" as others have.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
PS Nice Watch TOO!

Sheila

posted
It is C H A R L E S . And I think I can make out my Soc Sec # too.

And Kenny's color rendition really helps.

IF it is RCS the R is the most prominent, so I would go for CSR ... which doesn't help me... but I think I could live with a CSR watch.

I have a book on engravings if I can find it, but the facts only served to confuse me when my mind is made up. After all, I already know it is C H A R L E S.

Thanks for the help

Picture of Ron Birchall
posted
Ed

I think you are correct that the squiggle belongs to something but I don't see where it fits in the R C S interpretation. So, while I also agree with R C S, I think the squiggle is still a mystery.

I've been confused by other similar squiggles and have been waiting for just this kind of discussion to add to my education.

Kenny: thanks for the colorization- it really helps!

Ron

Posts: 388 | Location: Wheaton, Illinois U.S.A. | Registered: December 20, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Welcome Aboad Denny!

If we combine Kenny's red and blue into one the "R" becomes most prominent making R the surname. Charlie probably has it correctly as C.S.R. but it could be T. C. S. R. as well.

I'll probably never find "L. V. R." on a watchcase, but I still keep looking.

Congratulations to Charlie on having such a nice example!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I found the book.

Although Jerry was out voted, he is most probably right.

H R

All those lines and just 2 initials...

And Lindell, only wishing it were mine.

posted
Charles,
Can you tell me the name of your book on engraving? I sure could use one of those.

Sheila

posted
There is a possibility that the monogram is for 4 initials; some men have been given 3 christian names or the surname could have been hyphenated.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
It is Art Monograms & Lettering by J.M. Bergling.
18th edition. Dated 1950.

It's still a mystery to figure out ... they show 3 initials but still don't show you in plain type what they are. Some show the whole alphabet so you can pick them out. It's a good reference and fun to look at.

Charlie