Do I win anything?

Big Grin

Kenny
May 15, 2005, 21:35
Don Herrington
could be C harles R S ides too maybe
May 15, 2005, 23:21
Sam Williamson
Just from the apparent layering, it seems to be RCS, but how do these engravings really go? Does anyone know? Maybe a jeweler/engraver? Is there a standard for this type of art work that determines the sequence?

Sam Williamson

May 15, 2005, 23:35
Denny Iwen
My first post here. I C (LCK)
Denny I
May 16, 2005, 01:39
Kenny Drafts
There are four separate segments plus a small bit (yellow) that doesn`t seem to fit in anywhere. Could be a "T" "C" "S" + a squiggle?

Kenny
May 16, 2005, 04:00
Jerry Treiman
It might just be an "H" (green) and an "R" (blue).

[thanks, Kenny - the colors really help]

May 16, 2005, 09:04
Sheila Gilbert
If you add the small yellow piece to what looks like a T could be an F but it doesn't really fit right. At first I thought the T was a L too.
Neat!

Actually the R is a Q

So that makes the real definition is

T he C harming Q ueen S heila Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Sheila
May 16, 2005, 09:08
Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
Hi Denny, welcome to Chapter 185! See what kinds of interesting horological discussions we get into here? Big Grin Big Grin

Here's my 2-cents worth: I don't think there were supposed to be any "squiggle" elements in this style of monogram, everything had to be part of one letter or another. So if you put the red and blue portions of Kenny's rendering together to make "R" then I interpret the monogram as "R C S" as others have.

Best Regards,

Ed
May 16, 2005, 09:18
Sheila Gilbert
PS Nice Watch TOO!

Sheila
May 16, 2005, 10:44
Charles R. Sides
It is C H A R L E S . And I think I can make out my Soc Sec # too.

And Kenny's color rendition really helps.

IF it is RCS the R is the most prominent, so I would go for CSR ... which doesn't help me... but I think I could live with a CSR watch.

I have a book on engravings if I can find it, but the facts only served to confuse me when my mind is made up. After all, I already know it is C H A R L E S.

Thanks for the help
May 16, 2005, 10:45
Ron Birchall
Ed

I think you are correct that the squiggle belongs to something but I don't see where it fits in the R C S interpretation. So, while I also agree with R C S, I think the squiggle is still a mystery.

I've been confused by other similar squiggles and have been waiting for just this kind of discussion to add to my education.

Kenny: thanks for the colorization- it really helps!

Ron
May 16, 2005, 16:08
Lindell V. Riddle

Welcome Aboad Denny!

If we combine Kenny's red and blue into one the "R" becomes most prominent making R the surname. Charlie probably has it correctly as C.S.R. but it could be T. C. S. R. as well.

I'll probably never find "L. V. R." on a watchcase, but I still keep looking.

Congratulations to Charlie on having such a nice example!

Lindell

Wink

May 16, 2005, 19:21
Charles R. Sides
I found the book.

Although Jerry was out voted, he is most probably right.

H R

All those lines and just 2 initials...

And Lindell, only wishing it were mine.
May 22, 2005, 11:30
Sheila Gilbert
Charles,
Can you tell me the name of your book on engraving? I sure could use one of those.

Sheila
May 22, 2005, 15:50
John Arrowood
There is a possibility that the monogram is for 4 initials; some men have been given 3 christian names or the surname could have been hyphenated.
May 22, 2005, 23:41
Charles R. Sides
It is Art Monograms & Lettering by J.M. Bergling.
18th edition. Dated 1950.

It's still a mystery to figure out ... they show 3 initials but still don't show you in plain type what they are. Some show the whole alphabet so you can pick them out. It's a good reference and fun to look at.

Charlie