• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Newbie problem with hunting case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, I'm a newbie at this great hobby. I have 2 3/0 hunting case watches I'm trying to take out of the case to clean the cases. However it seems like the stem is too long to allow the movement to clear. What am I doing wrong? Thank You...

Posts: 9 | Location: Swartz Creek, Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 01, 2013
posted
Hi John

Could you tell us the movement/manufacturer ?

There are two possibilities:

-a split stem which should be brought into the set position before removal of the movement.

- a detend screw that holds the stem (a small screw on the movement close to the stem entry)

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
posted
Hi John, you will need to lift the crown up as if you were going to set the hands. As in a pendant wind and set pocket watch this would give you more clearance or sometimes you may find a screw on the backside of the pendant holding the stem and crown in place. You can loosen the screw and the stem and crown will pull out. Hope this helps, Mick B.

Posts: 8 | Location: New York in the USA | Registered: May 02, 2013
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
John, welcome to IHC, you as well Mick.

If it is a detent screw (thanks Gerald, I now know what that screw is called), since you are going to clean the cases you may as well take the screw all the way out as it will probably disappear during the cleaning process.

It's a pretty simple procedure as will be evident after you a have the crown & stem out. As they say experience is something you get just after you need it.

When removing it do it in a place where if it happens to fall or slip from your grasp you are not going to lose it.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
Thanks everyone.
I will look at the cases tomorrow to see if there is a screw. The movements are Molly Stark.

Posts: 9 | Location: Swartz Creek, Michigan in the USA | Registered: October 01, 2013
IHC Member 1555
posted
Being a Hampden "Molly Stark" John they will have a screw in the pendant.

Regards,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
This is one of the Hampden Molly Starks which passed through my collection. As I recall the stem had to be removed after loosening the tiny screw in the neck. If your has no neck screw, then the movement should pop out when the stem is in the "set" position. It depends on the case as some were in wristwatch cases.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. As my friend from London would say you were "Spot On"