WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Welcome Aboard IHC185™     Internet Horology Club 185    IHC185™ Discussion Site Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Horological Discussions, Questions and Answers  Hop To Forums  Pocket Watch Discussions    Puttin 'Em Back Together...One Watch At A Time...The Model 5 Cased 992
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Puttin 'Em Back Together...One Watch At A Time...The Model 5 Cased 992 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1338
posted
While most on ebay are partin em out, I have made a concentrated effort to put them back together. Here's one I just finished. Makes one feel good when he can (as close as possible) return the watch to it's factory original state.

I found this Model 5 case on ebay with an early 992 with 4 foot dial in it...very exciting, since I have about 4-5 992 and 992E movements and dials ready to be cased here. (whenever I get a 992 with a later serial number that is obviously in the wrong case I will save them...waiting...for these Hamilton railroad Model cases to come along)

I'd bet this one was actively carried, almost worn smooth around edges and has a very visible pocket wear ring, but still presents itself well...A very suitable case for this old gentleman!!

The Model 5 is one of my favorites, the look with the HG (or Boxcar) dial is about as good as it gets for me.

The movement is actually in pretty good shape, I've had this old guy since 2003, it came to me in a worn out fahy's case, how it got there is anybody's guess. Looks like something else was in this case over the years, it has 992 screw marks under the screws as well so probably started with a 992 once upon a time. #2475003 puts it right in the time line as a qualified movement for a Model 5 Case!

Keystone #44639 may not be exact but definitely close enough to jive with the movement. On doing a search, I noticed Richard Romero posted about this Model 5 and his case (44656) is only 17 numbers apart from this one!

Model 5 Cases

So, another one brought back. I will do as many of these as I possibly can to further preserve the history of these fine timepieces. I think this one turned out really well.

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Life Member
posted
Very nice job, and a worthy goal!
Bob

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

I'm with Tom and agree with Bob,

Too many resellers change movements as often and with as little attention to detail as mis-matched socks. Roll Eyes Unfortunately, with all too many it's all about trying to somehow, some way squeeze out another few dollars of short-term gain with no regard to authenticity, we are supposed to be better than that! What you are doing is a goal I share and I urge everyone reading this to take this pledge, strive to leave these wonderful old watches better than we found them. Smile Thumbs up on a job well done my friend.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I seriously doubt that there are a lot of original watches out there, especially ones that older than 75 years or so but on the ones that I get that I know are mismatched I also try hard to make them "time period" correct. No Elgin 150 in a short stem case, or a Father Time 454 in a a long stem case. Some watches are just a mess, hands, dials are all wrong. Nice looking watch

Posts: 1797 | Location: Michigan in the USA | Registered: September 19, 2009
IHC Life Member
Picture of Larry Lamphier
posted
GREAT job Tom. A real nice looking watch now!
Thank you for sharing it with us.

Regards,
Larry

Posts: 2733 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: February 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Tom

Thank you!
Regards Krister

Posts: 375 | Location: Backaryd, Sweden | Registered: April 19, 2009
posted
Tom,

That's a really nice job. Putting watches back together is really what made me want to get into collecting watches in the first place.

My problem is how do you find suitable cases. I have a couple of keywind longines movements that I really want to recase from the 1800's early 1900's and I can't seem to turn up a good case anywhere.

I would really love any pointers you could give on where to find good cases.

Posts: 2 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: February 01, 2010
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Great aspirations Tom and I agree that it does give one great feelings to accomplish a re-marriage of complimentary components....I have three 992's that I have done the same thing with now all that is left is to assemble it all....

Please, keep up the great work, Tom....

Regards,

Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008
IHC Member 1508
posted
Beautiful! I've got one that looks just like that, only in white gold filled. It's with Chris right now, getting COA'd. When it comes back, I'll put up a photo. Regards,Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Nice job Tom...another one preserved hopefully for future generations to enjoy and appreciate.

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
IHC Member 1338
posted
Thanks, guys! I'm workin on one right now that is really turning out to be fantastic! I will post it when done...

Tom Dunn...
TIME MACHINE
www.myrailroadwatch.com

Posts: 3052 | Location: Ramsey, Illinois in the USA | Registered: December 15, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Congrats Tom on a good deed for horology well done.

I learned in physics that the natural order of things is to descend from order into chaos, and never is that principle more true than in the world of pocket watches!

They are sold one way, the way we supposedly want to collect them, and then people just can't keep their hands in their pockets. They start switching things around.

So I'm glad to see someone bucking that trend, as I also seek to do in my collecting.Wink

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004