Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Accutron 218 battery ? (Found) Thanks Gary "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Patrick Wallin
posted
Where can I find one? Ive tried several places and just get the run around. One jeweler even suggested I put a 1.5 V battery in it because the watch would adjust the voltage on it's own. Accutron stipulates 218 only and scribed side down. This is an old pocket watch, day-date Htg model 16s # 2193.10
Patrick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
IHC Member 1727
posted
Patrick,
Try this website.
boomertime.com

I think the battery is item # A1688-MG.
Ike

Posts: 134 | Location: Florida in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2012
IHC Member 1357
posted
Patrick,I use this battery on my 218 Maxell SR1136SW.Seems to work well.Got off ebay.Just search watch batteries.

Posts: 4093 | Location: Carbon, Texas in the USA | Registered: January 24, 2010
Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Patrick I have been using 344 RENATA battery on my accutrons with out any issues .

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
OK, Thanks members. Now if I can just find a retaining strap.

Posts: 1732 | Location: Enumclaw, Washington in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2011
posted
This problem has been around for some time with the Accutron watches since the batteries that were specifically meant for them are no longer available. I deal with Perrin which is a large jewellry and watch part supply house. They sell a"specially engineered retrofit cell for use in Bulova Accutron watches to replace the original 1.35 volt mercury cell which are now out of production". #ACC-1 Accucell-replaces cells #343&387 for use in Bulova calibres 214-218-224-2300. Delivers both the right voltage & long life, up to one year or more and they do last one year I have two such watches that I wear and I can count on ordering a new battery at one years wear time. I hope this is of some help to you Patrick.

Regards, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Here is additional information and some helpful links...

ACCUTRON, BASIC TOOLS AND IMPORTANT INFORMATION

And as Lindell always stresses...

"Remember, unlike other battery powered watches, with a Tuning Fork Accutron, the cell goes plus side in."

Debbie

Wink

Posts: 5231 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
John, Yes, I was aware of the problem of the battery change when mercury was prohibited and the 1.35V only. Thats one of the reasons I am asking so many questions about which battery to use. I also must find a retaining strap. Very few battery sales let you know which way to install the battery but I remember Lindell told me some time ago about blowing the coils by installing it backwards.

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks Doctor
There is a lot of info on those sites you listed.

posted
I can get accutron batteries if anyone needs them, just send me an email.

Posts: 5101 | Location: Buffalo, New York in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
Andy, I sent you an email and you have not responded, so I will look elsewhere. No Hard feelings.

posted
The 218 battery is Energeizer/Eveready 344, renata 44. Any material house has them, and they can be found on eBay. Contrary to misconception, they work fine-sometimes the watch needs re-phasing, but a TRUE Accutron expert can do this. I have 2 Accutron 218 watches that are running and keeping great time-one I bought NOS and has ONLY had a 1.5V 344 cell in it the whole time. I also have a factory original Accutron 214 Spaceview with a 387S 1.5V and is the best timekeeper of ALL my wristwatches. Bulova issued a service memo some years back where they insisted the Accutrons were factory tested at 1.7V and the same memo stated that if the watch ran fast adjusment of the indexing system was required but that the 1.5V silver oxide batteries were not detrimental to the watch in any way.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004