Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Which one would you buy? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
I am looking at buying a watch. The problem is I cant make up my mind. One is an 18s bunn special 21 ruby jewels with the fishscale damaskeen pattern the other is a 16s Hampden 23j model 104. Both watches are in good shape. I have both 16 and 18 size watches in my collection so that is not an issue. Is there one that is more rare than the other... Which one would you buy and why?

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Bruce the 104 is much harder to find than the Bunn ,,if the 104 is in good condition that would be my pick. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Bruce,
Keeping in mind that I know nothing about these watches, I gotta tell ya, that my head seriously turned, when I first noticed the fishscale movements. I fell in love......

I think it's about what moves you.
Which one would you say stirs you most?

For me, it's the Fishscale one, even if I have no idea which is which.

Sometimes it's just the look of the little beauty that grabs ya.

Grab back!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of Robert V. Jones
posted
I am more partial to Illinois than I am Hampden and the fishscale is beautiful as Sheila says!! So it would be bunn for me!!

Posts: 3468 | Location: Cleveland, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: February 03, 2006
posted
Bruce,
Check out the one I got on the board!
I had the same questions you did.
but.......... I love this one.

It's FANTASTIC!

Sheila

Hampdenf2.jpg

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Sheila,

That is a very beautiful watch you have there.. The fishscale damaskeen is just fun to look at..

Needless to say I went with the Hampden. I had never seen one of those before and had seen quite a few of the 18s bunn fishscales. I will post a pic once I get it.

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
posted
Bruce,
Congratulations, and you won't be disappointed!

I look forward to seeing your new watch.

Below is the dial........Beautiful......

And some information about the watch.

16 size, 17 jewel, pendent-set Hampden at serial #3129866. Movement features an attractive damaskeen pattern of a style similar to what is seen on a "fishscale" Illinois 16 size Bunn Special or on Hamilton's 954 grade.

A little more information for you on this damaskeen pattern ...

From Fred
This damaskeen is shown on page 107 of the 1997 Hernick/Arnold "Hampden Watch Co." book as having been a special pattern made for and sold by The W.J. Johnston Company of Fourth Ave. and Wood Street, Pittsburgh PA and advertised by this company in 1911.

A movement identical to yours, and only 15 serial numbers away at #3129851, is shown at the bottom right of this page in the Hampden book. Also, the dial shown for this watch is identical with what is on your watch.

One additional comment...
From Lindell
I travel to the Akron-Canton area for Chapter 10 meetings. There I've gotten to know many of the contributors to the Hampden book including Ed Thouvenin who did the highly detailed technical drawings. These guys are enthusiastic and dearly love the watches made in their home town. I've learned so much from them!

Whenever one of these very distictive W.J. Johnston watches become available the "Hampden Guys" gather around and discuss the watch in great detail.

Sheila

Hampdenf.jpg

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Sheila,

Here is the 104 that I decided to buy..

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Jeffery Hann
posted
I have a Hampden that is also for the W.J. Johnston company from what I understand, I don't want to us the word rare, but you juat don't see them very often, mine is a 16size Model 4 serial#
2770945< and yes when you unscrew the cover off people are amazed with the design.

Jeffery

Posts: 192 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana U.S.A. | Registered: January 18, 2004
posted
Bruce,
That is GORGEOUS! very handsome!
I do like the damaskeening on this one too, very nice. It looks so clean and new WOW!

Congratulations! Great Find.

Sheila

posted
Jeffery,
You bet, it really catches your eye huh?

Sheila

posted
Bruce,

Not quite twins but..............Whats your dial ?? Personally, I think you made a great choise..

Posts: 638 | Location: Green Bay, Wisconsin USA | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
Bruce and John great watches..Bruce i agree with John you made a good choice,the Grade 104 is a great watch. Smile

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004