Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Watch Case Fix "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hello Everyone;

Today I was putting a movement into another case that didn't have any dings or dents in it and I noticed that there was a gap in one spot between the bezel and the watch case, where it looks as though someone may have tried to pry open the case before realizing it was a screw type bezel.

Although it wasn't a great deal of damage, it was noticeable so I thought of a way to get rid of the gap, and the damage to the bezel, and make the bezel flit perfectly flat to the rest of the case. It really works well if all you have is a small stone, and using the stone in this way ensures you keep a perfectly flat surface to the bezel.

I'm sure that some of you experienced watch makers and watch repair people already knew this but I thought it was worth showing here in case someone else wanted to do this. Here's a clip of how I did it.

I hope some find it useful.

Bud

Fitting a bezel so it remains flat

One word of caution though. This will put a "knife edge" on the rim of the bezel, so handle carefully.

I just had a terrific tip from Dave that one should wipe that "knife" edge with a bit of emery cloth just to knock that razor edge off. Thank you Dave, an excellent safety tip.

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A great "show and tell"! Properly finished you should be able to "shave" with the bezel. Can I add that you are well advised to lightly wipe the finished edge with emery cloth to reduce the "ouchies" Smile

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Prolly want to clean with alcohol if shaving is intened. Big Grin

Posts: 292 | Location: Vancouver, Washington, USA | Registered: May 19, 2005
posted
Michael, after I saw your shaving comment I just couldn't resist it. I put it back on the stone for a few light strokes and then ............ yep, I did. I tried it, and I now have a clear track on my left arm about a half inch wide all the way from my wrist to my elbow.

Experiment successful: you can indeed shave with the edge on a bezel.

quote:
Prolly want to clean with alcohol if shaving is intened.

Posts: 449 | Location: Ontario in Canada | Registered: September 28, 2010