Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Pivot and mainspring gauge? "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi Hi
I have a lot of tools, but one thing I dont have is a pivot gauge. Right now what I have is a collection of jewels that I know the size of and its hard to get it right when measuring pivots.
I came accross a pivot and mainspring gauge on ebay and I just want to make sure that such a thing exists that can measure both. Attached is a picture of the gauge.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Jim, I would be careful with this type slotted gauge as they can grab and damage the pivot very easily. The nicest pivot gauges are actually a mounted array of Hole jewels for each size pivot as they have rounded exit holes that do not easily grab or damage the pivot.

As for spring measurement, you have two dimensions, the width and the thickness. I have used three types, a Vernier Caliper (which I understand and prefer), a Waltham Spring Gauge, and a swiss made Dial indicator gauge. The Waltham is the next most reliable to a caliper because it is so simple you have to really mess up to get a bad reading.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Thanks Dave. I have seen pivot gauges like you have described, but havent won any of them. I will target them in the future and bypass this one. I dont want to damage pivots. the spring gauge looks interesting and I will take your advice and look for one like those you have shown.
Tools are important, but I would rather have quality tools that others have recommended. Thanks for the post.

Posts: 1143 | Location: Chicago, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 05, 2010