Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham 18s balance staff "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1247
posted
Does anyone know the proper balance staff number for a waltham 18s 15j HC sn8412107??

Thanks...Mark

Posts: 97 | Location: Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 10, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Mark,

This is a Model 1883 Grade 820, my parts book lists a waltham staff #1365 should be the correct one. Please be aware that there is three or four different pivot sizes for this model.

hope this helps.
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
IHC Member 1247
posted
Bila...Thanks for the info from down under,Appreciate you finding that for me,the Swigart book wasn't much help...since I am a newbie how does everyone determine pivot size? even if you have a caliper what if both pivots are broken off the existing staff??Best Regards,Mark

Posts: 97 | Location: Virginia in the USA | Registered: May 10, 2009
IHC Member 1555
posted
Hi Mark,

If both pivots are broken off I would measure the jewel hole size, I have a set of Swartchild tools for measuring the jewel while still in the plate. Otherwise you would have to remove the jewel if you have something like a Coates Jewel Gauge or similar. I have not been into this long so someone else on the forum might be able to enlighten us further.

Cheers,
Bila

Posts: 2265 | Location: Gladstone in Australia | Registered: January 14, 2011
posted
Without the use of fancy tools you could use a small smoothing broach. Carefully pass the broach through the hole until it fits snug. Mark this position with your thumbnail pull it out and measure the diameter of the broach at your nail with calipers.

Regards, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005

posted
I "believe" there are two staffs for the 1883 model, the #1364 and #1365.

Posts: 7178 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: November 11, 2011