Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

WHAT is a Hamilton 922 23J 12s "Secometer??? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Deacon won this Hamilton 23J s/n 3014270 "Secometer" We both looked at it and have the same questions to the club;
What" are the production numbers for a 922 "Secometer"
Who is Edward E. Chase, from Lynn Mass ret. 10/1/31?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
He was the Chief of the Fire Department from 1912 to 1931

chase

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Member 1610
Picture of Harry J. Hyaduck Sr.
posted
Now Deacon you need to print out a copy of the picture of the fire chief to go with the watch.

Posts: 3850 | Location: Georgia in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2011
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
The "No.62"-Sterling Silver, secometer (with) applied Gold numerals" is illustrated in the Hamilton 1935 Catalog of dials. This could have been a special factory order.

A beauty any way you look at it. The dial has survived incredibly well.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Did the secometer rotate clockwise or counterclockwise?

Posts: 301 | Location: Ogallala, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: August 27, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Clockwise. The question remains; How did a 23 Jewel top of the line Hamilton end up with a Secometer dial? How many were made that way?

IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
I have a solid gold 904 with a secometer dial, surely original, but they are much more common on 912s, of which I have one, but I also have one on a 918.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Your Welcome!

IHC Member 1508
posted
I see them all the time on 910's and 912's. And Tom, I thought that was very interesting that you found a picture to go with the watch. Thanks. regards, Brad

Posts: 956 | Location: Wenatchee, Washington in the USA | Registered: December 14, 2010
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Brad, there are just certain people that ask for me by name to research their watches for them and then when I report what I find there is no acknowledgement that I found what they wanted, I guess when you are the hired help that is how it goes.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Hey Tom, thank you very much for the research. I just looked in and once again you did a nice job. Thanks to all who joined in on the discussion. I have carried the watch since last night and it seems to run very well.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

A very special THANK YOU to Tom Brown for all you do for all of us. Tom, your research efforts are truly amazing and I speak for every IHC Member in expressing our collective gratitude.

Deacon, yours is the only surviving silver Secometer dial with gold applied numerals I have ever seen, a very special item! Unfortunately, since the Secometer Dial was an extra-cost accessory there would be no way to come up with production numbers. Your watch is so unusual, especially with both Masonic and Firefighter connections it is without question a one-of-a-kind item.

Now, here is some "Hamilton Secometer" information and an advertisement.

Click for Hamilton 912 Digital Question topic.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Gorgeous piece, Deacon.

Dave, how much room is needed under the dial to accomodate the numbered seconds wheel?

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
posted
Hello to all,

That 922 must really be one of a kind, I guess I'll never be able to have it in my collection.

Since we are on the subject, here is a picture of my "secometers". Unfortunately the dial of the Illinois is spotted, I tried to clean it but with no result.
Does anybody know if there were similar watches made by other companies?

Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
posted
Eric,
I hope Dave will forgive me for butting in on this one, but since I have the answer to your question close at hand I will save him some time.
Here is a picture of the movement (Hamilton 912)and the dial. As you can see they machined a round depression in the back of the metal dial to make space for the second disc. It is also interesting to note that they printed "Secometer" on the dial thus giving legitimacy to the name. I think I red somewhere, correct me if I'm wrong, that only Hamilton could use the name.

Regards,
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
posted
Thanks Peter.

So - no difference at all to the movement, except for a possible stubbier 4th pinion.

Posts: 2962 | Location: Western New York in the USA | Registered: March 24, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
It had to be custom ordered and made. Mr Chase must have been quite a Fire Man! Friend, neighbor and IHC185'er Mike Carroll (originally from Boston area) says it is the "Luck of the Irish"!