WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham "non-Magnetic" D.R. mdl 1888 16s 17J ????? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
In the trite and a-political pursuit of my love of pocket watches, I am rehabilitating many Waltham 16 Size model 1888 movements as they exhibit much of the genius of that period of watch development. In my innocent and disingenious dismantling of this very nice s/n6985891 !7J Riverside, LO AND BHEHOLD! It is marked Non-Magnetic, has a white balance spring, what looks like a bronze color Pallet fork body, and is a DOUBLE ROLLER! (1 piece yet!)
Of course The complete guide has no record of such an animal.(I will show more pics when It is restored, but the below is PLAIN TO ME! Cool)
ANYBODY?

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
David

I was thinking Waltham made some of their Riverside models with the non-magnetic markings, I think I have seen photos of some 23 jewel & 21 jewel model 1888 Riverside.

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Tome, I found an ad in One of Ehrhardts early waltham books that refers to a model 1888 riverside 17 Jewel "Non-Magnetic". The thing that blows my mind is this exquisite execution of this movement INCLUDING the double roller which is a 2-piece but the safety roller is cut by an artist not a machinist. The Movement after I was finished . . .

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A collage of the watch . . . "ciao bella", not bad for an 1896 vintage machine!

IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
That is exquisite. ...in 1888????

well said...ciao bella

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Nice non-magnetic watch Dave.
Waltham called those hairsprings, Conel, Hamilton called them Elinvar.
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002
Picture of Edward Kitner
posted
David,
I also like the 1888 movements. I have #722xxxx, half hunter Keystone cased, 17J. It is a very classy looking movement.

Posts: 1488 | Location: New York State in the USA | Registered: March 04, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Think of it, in 1896 whnile still under the direction of their benefactor, Mr. Royal Robbins, Waltham made this Motor-Barreled, Double Rollered, Non-Magnetic, "Conel" (Elinvar) Hairspringed, Fully Adjusted with 4 Mean time screws Pocket Watch.

I think that besides being about 30 years ahead of its time (and I know Waltham gave it up to the bean counters), it speaks well for "things to come" with the other competitive companies (Illinois, Hamilton, etc.) to the "Big Two" who made these "advanced design" features standard practice by the 1930's.