Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

I did it! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
I FINALLY found a way around my "Taking a Watch apart" issue.

I can surely play with this one with no paranoia (sp) about taking it apart and killing it forever.

You just buy it ALREADY apart!!! Eek Big Grin Wink

She's an Elgin, 16s, 1928, grade 291, 7j, open face, model 7, Pendant set.

When I get it, someone will have to tell me what's missing.
I think I may use this one as my "Name that Part" piece. I need a reference for all the parts.

I can take care of 5 people all at once, for months at a time, clean house, buy groceries, wash clothes, pick up meds for 11 people, drive 68 miles for my uncle 3 times a week, and

I STILL CAN'T FIGURE OUT WATCH PARTS!!!

GGGGGRRRRRRRRR!!!!! Mad Eek Big Grin

Some things just WON'T stick.

Sheila

Elgin 32824027 16s 9950-1

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
posted
I have the same problem try this site. I have found some people cal the same part by slightly different names.

watch info

Posts: 101 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: February 22, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Ethan Lipsig
posted
Michael, thanks for the link to that interesting site. It gave me the opportunity to "virtually" disassemble an 18 size Waltham '83. For nonwatchmakers, this might be the only opportunity they will ever get to take a watch apart. It was a first for me. Thankfully, the site does not permit you to lose tiny screws that slip from your tweezers, or to forget how to put all the little pieces back together again.

Posts: 1414 | Location: Pasadena, California USA | Registered: November 11, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
A couple comments to remember while practicing the instructions on this excellent site.
First, a fully wound main "unloading" on a gummy movement will break pivots and cause havoc! Please remember to let down the mainspring before anything else.

Second, if you remove the balance spring, learn more about correctly re-assembling the spring and adjusting for correct "beat". (Personally I leave it on, unless there is some other issue with the balance wheel assembly).

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member
posted
Sheila: I've read your posts before about this,and I feel the need to encourage you-again! Forget that already apart mess-you need to start from scratch and make your OWN mess! Wink
I really believe you can do this-try a 16S 3/4 movement;preferably still ticking but it doesn't matter. One step at a time! You can even back up after each step and re-assemble until you feel comfortable with it. Then move on to the next. if you don't have to worry about hurting the watch, maybe you'll be more comfortable,too.
I'm sure you will surprise yourself-and I promise you this-it will add a whole new appreciation for these little wonders! Smile

Marty

Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
Michael, thanks for the informative/interesting link watch parts/technical info. Interesting how a watch sounds running properly vs. not.

Sheila, good luck.

Stephanie O'Neil

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Brian C.
posted
Marty,
I agree with you. Sheila, put that mess aside to use for parts. I would start with a working watch, that way, when you put it back together, you will know if you have done it right. If you start with a non-running watch, you won't know if what you've done, is correct.
Good Luck,
Brian C.

Posts: 1857 | Location: Epsom, New Hampshire USA | Registered: December 14, 2002