• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waltham O'Hara patent silver watch case "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I recently acquired a scarce coin silver 18 size hunting case with A.W.W.Co. O'Hara patent marked inside the front cover. There is also a man's portrait inside the cover that somehow was placed chemically onto the cover. Not a photo glued in place. Anyone know the best way to remove the image short of emery paper??

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Wiliam, please leave the picture in. It represents a VERY RARE example of a trailbreaking technical service OHara offered to convert Dageurrotype pictures into a early photo etching on Cases (first) and Dials (later). That picture etching alone makes this a very valuable item. If you remove the picture you reduce the case value by 60%+.

How about come pictures to confirm this matter.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
posted
Really?? The image is very faint. Is there an article in any publication about this? I wasn't aware of this. And, I have never seen a case marked O'Hara patent.

Posts: 653 | Location: St Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: May 04, 2004
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I read it in one of the History of watches books. I will try to find that again.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007