• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Correct spec for a Hamilton 2974B Balance Staff "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I nearly cried when my 1942 Hamilton 2974B hit the hardwood floor from a three-foot drop, in the vertical crown-up position, impacting at the 6-oclock position. No damage to casing, crystal or dial, but as you would guess, a broken balance staff.

Would a kind savvy please list the spec of this balance staff to enable ordering the correct one (e.g. pivot size 0.09, .10 or .11? etc) and maybe where I could find it.

Posts: 72 | Location: Athens, Greece | Registered: January 21, 2013
IHC Member 1736
posted
Paul, I've had good luck listing my parts request in the Horological Items Wanted section...

Sometimes you get a gracious offer from someone who has one laying around and glad to see it go to a new home... or members with stores willing to sell you a part at the "family and friends" rate...

One of the many perks of our membership and fellowship here.

R/Paul T

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
Paul, I remember that it was a 992B type staff, though I do not remember if that is a friction fit or riveted type staff. You may have to remove it to determine.

The part numbers are in our tech section cc of all the Hamilton part numbers at;

http://library.ihc185.com/cata.../ham1961/ham1961.pdf

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
Paul I have several vials of Hamilton Staffs, all Bestfit. If you can figure out what you need I will send you one. What I have is as follows with Bestfit numbers, all 16 size: 435SR 434DR 992DR 950-950B 992FR.I acquired a 72 vial Bestfit assortment and they are all in excellent shape and seem to be correct.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
posted
I do thank you, kind gentlemen, for your responses. Richard, in particular, many thanks for your offer. All I need to do is to find out the correct spec of this staff, which is the reason I first started this thread.

posted
And I'm sure this basic question has been asked before: Does the Hamilton 2974B have the same movement as the 974? If this is true, maybe the 435SR is what we are after.

IHC Member 1613
posted
Paul,
I am not sure about the staff but the movement looks more like a 992b movement than a 974 movement..I would suggest you contact Larry Crutsinger at detent21@aol.com I am sure he could help you...Gary

Posts: 2010 | Location: Chesapeake City, Maryland in the USA | Registered: September 27, 2011
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Paul,

Look at David Abbe's post above in this topic wherein he pointed you to our Hamilton Parts List in PDF Format. The staff for your 2974B should the same as for a 992B upon which it is based. Hamilton number 607048 / 659 friction Fit to balance Hub, Pivot 11 for Grades 950B-992B shown on page 70 of the 1960 Parts Manual.

The reason I say this is because the 992B and all 16-size movements based upon it including the 2974B were completely new beginning in 1940 sharing no components with any previous models.

Confirming all this with Cas-Ker of Cincinnati, Ohio they still recognize it as 607048 which is the original part number (Their SKU: 22BB-58B and it sells for $25.00) and I am sure Larry Crutsinger would have the part as well, fortunately it is a common item, friction-fit therefore easy to service.

Hope this is helpful to you and others,

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Dear Lindell,

Thanks for your detailed reply which puts us all on the same page. Can you kindly confirm it this is what you are referring to: