Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

What is this watch? "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
I have just been sent this picture, the owner is asking what make, model etc, can anyone identify it?

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
posted
Seth Thomas, model 5 - and a real nice one, too.

Posts: 72 | Location: Mechanicsburg, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: July 18, 2004
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Harvey, would never thought a Seth.
will see if he has pictures of the dial

Posts: 2625 | Location: Northeast Texas in the USA | Registered: November 20, 2003
IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
I've been collecting data on these Model 5 Seth Thomas movememnts for some time. Would love to see the dial, it would help if the bezel is removed so we can see if it is lever set. Essentially we have no factory data on these movements except that all were in the 200,000 to 400,000 serial number range and that all are open face. They were made with jewel counts from 7 to 25 (I'm not including the one or two non-production 28 jewel samples) with gilt, nickel or tuTone plates. With enough data we can begin to generate production estimates on all the different versions that were made. Some of these were among the highest grade watches ever produced by Seth Thomas.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Ed,
Here is a picture of the dial looks a stunner, any idea of value on this? Does the PL add or detract to this example

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
I don't think there is any doubt that having a matching private label marking on both the dial and movement will increase its value, as will the 24 hour "Canadian" style dial. The case shows an extra set of screw marks, which would detract a bit. These 17 jewel adjusted watches with private labels seem to be going in the $400 to $700 range. Yours appears to be in very nice condition so I would guess that it would go in the upper portion of that range.

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Posts: 620 | Location: Pooler, Georgia in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
posted
I believe a Seth Thomas with this identical damaskeen and same Canadian private-label markings for this jeweler in comparable condition sold on eBay this May for around $200.

Fred

IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks all, I will pass the information on to my friend I hope he didnt look at book value when he bought it!. Do you think Shugart way off on the values of the Maiden lane series or just a lack of serious Seth Thomas buyers.

posted
Hi Chris -

This watch is a model 5 same as the Maiden Lane, but the Maiden Lane is a specific grade of watch. A watch is only a Maiden Lane if it is marked as such (or possibly falls in a Maiden Lane block of serial numbers), but the vast majority of model 5 Seth Thomas watches do not.

Fred

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
This is one of the few watches I've viewed here at the chapter that made my heart skip a beat when I saw it. The other was an 18s Hampden Special Railway that Rich Kuhn posted a year back. I now own that watch. Big Grin

BEAUTIFUL!!

High regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Fred, from my friends message I think, he think he has a Maiden Lane!, I know nothing of these at all, other then this looks a beautiful watch and well worth the estimates above, what I do know is I have a Email to write! Confused

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
If your friend is not a "serious" collector, you may have a hard time convincing him that he does not have an "Unmarked 17J Miaden Lane." However, the Model 5 came in many grades and his is not a Maiden Lane or even the highest grade of 17J below the Maiden Lane.

The higher grades are marked with the number of positions as well as adjusted and the jewel count.

Here is a picture of a Maiden Lane that is not as nice looking as your friend's watch.

Click the thumbnail to enlarge it.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
This watch is also not in good condition, but is a higher grade 17J than your friend's watch.

I think your friend's watch is probably a grade 182 like this one.

These watches are all in the collection of the American Watch and Clock Museum in Bristol, CT.

Posts: 633 | Location: Boston, Massachusetts USA | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Life Member
Certified Watchmaker
Picture of Chris Abell
posted
Thanks Tom,

Those are all a pleasure to see and highlights the differences in the models in fact reading the responses and the last three pictures has turned out to be a very educational and interest post for me never having paid any attention to Seth Thomas previously. No doubt will have to pay more attention to these in the future.

IHC Life Member
RR Watch Expert
Picture of Ed Ueberall
posted
Tom,
Could you show us a scan of the dial on the 25 J Maiden Lane?

Ed Ueberall
IHC Member 34
The Escapement

Picture of Tom McIntyre
posted
Sorry, I don't have any of the dial pictures on this collection. It was put together by a collector friend of mine over a period of many years and recently donated to Bristol.