Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mystery watch marked M W & Co Leader "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Michael Gorham
posted
I have an 18 size stem wind and set pocket watch marked M W & Co Leader on the movement (serial number 795056) and would like help identifying it please.

Here is the dial

Posts: 79 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana in the USA  | Registered: March 12, 2009
posted
And the movement

Movement

Posts: 79 | Location: Crawfordsville, Indiana in the USA  | Registered: March 12, 2009
posted
I don't have it right in front of me to compare it right now, but this resembles a Seth Thomas "Century" model I have at home.

steve G.

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Looks Swiss to me. Geno

Posts: 357 | Location: Foster City, California USA | Registered: August 06, 2007
posted
Looks like the dial is held on by those half turn cam screws. I don't think any American watch companies used those.

Posts: 475 | Location: Gainesville, Florida in the USA | Registered: January 22, 2009
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I was wondering about Longines

Tom

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
I agree it looks like a Swiss movement and there are Longines features.

The signature "M. & W. Co." could be for "Montgomery Ward and Company" the once great catalog and retail sales organization.

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
posted
Longines gets the vote!

Around 1893 probably 17J with the dial logo possibly being a private label for Montgomery Ward & Co.

That last bit was an educated guess yesterday from Lindell on the phone and I think correct - thanks Lindell!

I leave for a big clock auction In Pennsylvania 450 miles away today so won't have time to call you.

posted
Well I'll be darned Don!

We both posted that at identical times!

Better do the lottery today.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Great minds think alike Michael.

Smile

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
posted
I agree Don, and Lindell cetainly has a great mind! ;-)

(Lend me $10 Lin!)

I'm off to PA now.

Thanks for everyone's help.