Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton 940 "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Picked this watch up on Ebay this week, the case is worn but after servicing the movement it is running great with an error rate of 3 sec. a day. The regulator is now back towards the center, the photo was before I adjusted it.

One reason I bought it is I like watches that have a little info. on their previous owner.

According to the seller this was her great uncles & the included fob was from the US Steel Corp after his 30 years there.

Doing some research on the fob I learned that EH Gary that is on the face of the fob the chairman of US Steel & the town of Gary Indiana was named after him. The fob is sterling silver and has a nice weight to it.

Tom

movement

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The dial has a few chips

dial

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Gold filled case

case

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Face of the fob

fob01

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I like the working men on the reverse & the train.

Tom

fob02

IHC Member 1110
posted
Nice 940, Tom!Even looks like the correct dial.Only the earlier ones had "Hamilton Watch Co." on the dial.Another thing they copied from Hampden....That's a keeper!

Posts: 1323 | Location: Lebanon, Connecticut USA | Registered: March 28, 2008
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Thedore, it keeps very good time. I found out from the former owner that they mispelled her great uncles last name on the fob, it should have had two mm's.

Tom

Picture of Mary Ann Scott
posted
What a history you have! Very nice watch, Tom.

Posts: 1047 | Location: The Colony, Texas in the USA | Registered: December 20, 2008
posted
very very nice Tom, Great watch, movement case and history.

Bill

Posts: 1278 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 19, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
What a KEEPER! I would wear that proud! The whole piece exudes history! Good find!

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Looks to me like the engraver just didn't start far enough to the left to leave room for a second 'M' when he got to it, and decided to let it go.

Who knows, Mr. Trammel may have said 'that's no problem', and wore it proudly anyway, considering the amount of wear we see on the item.

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Life Member

Picture of Jerry King
posted
Great find, Tom....very nice watch and FOB....if it don't bother the chap that it belonged to, and as Mark points out that it doesn't appear to, I sure as the dickens wouldn't worry about it.... Big Grin

Nice job of finding the information also....

Regards,
Jerry

Posts: 2828 | Location: California in the USA | Registered: June 23, 2008